Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/19/2005 12:29:10 AM EDT
Hey all.  New to the forum and have a question.  I am building my first AR and want some opinions on whether I should piece together a lower or just buy one complete.  I have an upper about 80% complete and I also have the complete buffer assembly and buttstock already.  Pricing stripped lowers and complete lower kits seems to come out around the same price as buying the complete lower(Looking to buy RRA).  I have many years of experience using the AR style guns, but never done a complete build (down to the smallest pin and spring), so any advice on this build is appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:54:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Buying a complete lower and building one won't be a huge difference in cost. Why not try building a lower? I'm no expert  but I recently built my first lower and it took me about an hour.  It was really quite easy and at least now I know I can replace anything that needs fixing.

Since you already have the buttstock, you will save quite a bit just getting the lpk and receiver.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:03:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Build.  I recently built my first and learned alot.  It is much easier than I originally thought it would be.

Give it a shot.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:39:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Welcome to the boards

Build, you get what you wont the 1st time. You can save a few dollars by building you just need to shop around
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:20:08 AM EDT
[#4]
actually building your first one is going to be a bit more expensive then buying a pre-assembled lower.

the cost of tools has been forgotten but then it saves on the rest of your builds. though some have gotten away with using kitchen utensils for building the lower.

i would build to get the idea of what's going on.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:34:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Unless you already have the tools i would say buy.   I dont think i could build my lower any cheaper     its a RRA with a NM 2 stage trigger and a RRA 6 position Car Stock and i got it for 300  at eagle firearms.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:16:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Build.  I just finished my first build, and it is a great feeling.  Friends and family will be in awe of your acomplishment.  Even your cat (if you have one) will acknowledge your superiority.  
No special tools are really needed to build your lower.  I built with an RRA stripped lower and a DPMS LPK along with a DPMS buttstock assembly .  The upper was a RRA preassembly, but I am getting the parts for my second upper together to build myself.  

Stan
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:18:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Build.  I just finished my first build, and it is a great feeling.  Friends and family will be in awe of your acomplishment.  Even your cat (if you have one) will acknowledge your superiority.  
No special tools are really needed to build your lower.  I built with an RRA stripped lower and a DPMS LPK along with a DPMS buttstock assembly .  The upper was a RRA preassembly, but I am getting the parts for my second upper together to build myself.  

Stan

I forgot to add that the instructions found elsewhere on this forum are really good for helping assemble your lower receiver.

Stan
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top