Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2003 5:29:10 PM EDT
I'm trying to remove my buffer tube to replace it with the MSS-M93, and it just won't budge. So far , just been trying hand tools, trying not to damage the tube just in case. Any hints, do I need an action vise, do I take a pipe wrench to the tube thereby destroying the tube, any help would be appreciated. Or should I just take it to a smith. thanks
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 11:43:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Chances are that the receiver extension was loctited.  

You will need to heat the tube up just before the receiver with a heat gun to break the loctite bond.  
Once the bond has been broken, then just put a wrench on the end flat and sit on the receiver to spin it off.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 11:59:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Colt?
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 5:56:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, it's a Colt, does it make a difference? And, thanks for the info so far.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:26:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Colt used loc-tite on their reciever extensions.

Like Dano said, a little gentle heat.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:32:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks everyone, I was wondering when do you know that the Loc-tite has released/melted. What kind of time are we talking about, 10-15 seconds, 2-3 minutes, etc. And can you use a propane torch to gently heat the tube, I know be very careful. Again Thanks
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 9:06:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I just ordered a MSS M93 as well. I have an Armalite 11.5. I thought you could use the same tube. Will I have any trouble removing it? After you unscrew the piece that holds the stock on, what do you do?
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:26:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Your existing bufer tube is replaced by the new one in the MSS. However, you can re-use the buffer and spring if your original was from a sliding stock set-up/.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 11:46:36 AM EDT
[#8]
whooops nevermind
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:33:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks everyone, I was wondering when do you know that the Loc-tite has released/melted. What kind of time are we talking about, 10-15 seconds, 2-3 minutes, etc. And can you use a propane torch to gently heat the tube, I know be very careful. Again Thanks
View Quote

You could use the propane torch but you won't need to put the actual flame point on the metal.  Maybe get one of those flare thingies that looks like a fan.  Get some one to put constant torque on the extension while you gently heat.  I'ld say the 2-3 minutes is closer to what you're looking for if going slowly like you should.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:10:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

You could use the propane torch but you won't need to put the actual flame point on the metal.  Maybe get one of those flare thingies that looks like a fan.  Get some one to put constant torque on the extension while you gently heat.  I'ld say the 2-3 minutes is closer to what you're looking for if going slowly like you should.
View Quote

Better yet, use a heatgun (basicly a HD hair dryer). If you use a torch, just be careful not to over-heat your receiver. This is where you really need two people. If you have a junker mag, insert it into the mag well and clamp the mag in a vise. Have your buddy apply moderate torque to a wrench on the end of the buffer wile you are applying heat to the receiver (not the tube). It will break loose and spin easily once you reach the proper temperature.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top