Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/2/2003 3:30:09 AM EDT
all parts are RRA

screw buffer tube into lower receiver until buffer pin "clicks" and will not turn any further (at this point there is probably 1/8 of an inch of threads showing past the loop of the lower receiver)

attach upper to lower with pivot pin and slide the buffer and buffer spring into tube and when I start to close the receivers the back face of the bolt carrier hits the threads of the buffer tube.

the bolt carrier is flush with the upper receiver (i even gave the forw assist a couple of raps.

can i just grind the top half of the buffer tube threads to fit flush with the loop of the lower receiver?
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 3:59:20 AM EDT
[#1]
From homepage:
[img]http://www.ar15.com/content/parts/lowerReceiver.gif[/img]

Believe your buffer retaining pin (#4, above) should [b]STOP[/b] the buffer tube, before it extends past the "loop".

Suggest ya check the assembly instructions on the homepage, as something is not quite right about the way you've put your AR together.

"until buffer pin clicks" is an odd phrase, one I'm unfamilar with, when doing assembly of an AR stock to lower receiver.

FWIW buffer tube should be forward enough to "capture" the buffer retaining pin, but "normally" will not extend into the lower and interfer as you've stated.....

Mike
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 4:09:58 AM EDT
[#2]
You sure have been helpin alot lately Mr. Wilson.  

The "channel" that is machined into the bottom of the buffer tube (actually a fixed telestock, but since they functioned the same it was easier to type buffer tube) extends past the threads.  I think the "click" is when the buffer pin hits this channel, past the threads and prevents you from screwing the buffer tube any further.  I followed the instructions on posted on this web site and searched the forums and found a post on this.  I feel like I installed it correctly, maybe I just got an out of spec part.  So the buffer tube should not extend further than the lower receiver?  When the bolt is closed, should the bolt carrier body been even with the upper receiver or recessed a little?
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 7:49:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Check this link out with the photos. I believe the upper photo shows the correct installation position of the buffer tube and buffer retainer. Notice the position of the buffer retainer and how it protrudes above the buffer tube while the buffer tube holds the retainer in place by the thicker portion. Just be aware that this link is for a different problem than you explained and the "fixes" are different.

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=168534[/url]
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 8:37:19 AM EDT
[#4]
in that link it shows the "post" of the buffer retainer.  is this correct?  wouldnt the buffer and spring hit this.  I assumed you had to push down the post and completely cover the buffer retainer with the buffer tube/telestock assembly.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 8:57:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
in that link it shows the "post" of the buffer retainer.  is this correct?  wouldnt the buffer and spring hit this.
View Quote

The spring will not hit it because it is behind the buffer.  Yes, the buffer will hit this, this is the buffer "retainer".  It retains the buffer/spring assembly in the buffer tube.  The post IS supposed to stick up like that.

I assumed you had to push down the post and completely cover the buffer retainer with the buffer tube/telestock assembly.
View Quote

Nope, the buffer tube only covers the lower portion of the buffer retainer, keeping it in place.  The post is supposed to stick up and retain the buffer/spring assembly.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 11:40:33 AM EDT
[#6]
ok, that makes sense.  I take it that the bolt carrier rides above this post?  thanks for all of the help.  anybody know how to find a buffer retainer in the weeds after launching it? [slap]
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 3:54:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
anybody know how to find a buffer retainer in the weeds after launching it? [slap]
View Quote

hee hee heee haa ha ha.

some days this place is so entertaining.

I'm not laughing at you Rock, just laughing with you.  You will laugh after you've stopped cursing.

Launching the retainer sounds like something I would do myself.

[beer]
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 8:11:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Having lived with Mr. Murphy for a long time, I found the perfect answer to launched/lost little things that you can't leave out. There is a big flat magnet on a handle that I use to pick up those little thingy's. Just sweep it across the ground like a metal or mine detector. It will pick any steel item down there.

You can get them at any home improvement store like Lowe's or Home Depot.

Oh yeah, take a look at the bottom of your bolt carrier. The little groove in the back side is for clearance of the buffer retainer pin.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 6:09:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Rockhound - you're installing a CAR stock, which is NOT the same as a buffer tube! Assumptions like that can get you in trouble! Note that your CAR stock has a locking ring. That ring secures everything, unlike the standard buffer tube the CAR stock is not intended to be screwed all the  way in! You have some play there so you will be able to make sure the stock is vertical with respect to the rest of the gun.

Screw the stock into the lower just far enough so that it will keep the buffer pin from launching itself (seems you've covered that one already). Notice that your stock has a locking ring? Well, get the pivot pin detent and spring in place, hold the cover plate over that with one hand so you don't mangle the spring and tighten the locking ring down good and snug, and you're done. Shove the buffer and spring in there, and it should stay put unless you've screwed the stock in too far and it keeps the detent from protruding far enough to do its job.

Oh, and make sure the stock is aligned with the rest of the gun before you tighten the locking ring down. If your BC still hits something when you close the receiver, make sure your bolt is fully extended from the carrier or it won't engage the barrel lug and it will protrude rearward enough not to clear. A simple thing, but can fool you if you're too focused on the other problem.

Hope that helps you.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top