Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/4/2012 9:03:40 PM EDT
I was at my friends out tonight helping clean out his ar 15. When he was cleaning his barrel he pulled a bronze brush through twice. It was a dirty barrel and he lubed the brush. After he was done I happened to notice he put a .27 bronze brush down his barrel. Obviously it is a bigger brush. It pulled through with a little effort on his part. I never done this so I have no idea, but would that potential harm his chrome lined barrel? I looked at it and looked good. I think it should be good considering the bronze is softer than chrome and the bristles obviously conformed to the barrel (got pushed down flatter) to go through. What say you all? I didn't notice any thing wrong after.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 9:22:19 PM EDT
[#1]
If you hurt the chrome lining by using a soft brush that's just slightly bigger than a .223 brush....you've got bigger problems than using the wrong brush.

I've never done this either...not sure why you would.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 2:29:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I see people do this all the time.  I wouldnt do it with a steel brush but a bronze one wont hurt anything.  Once the oversize brush is easy to push through you know it is worn out I am assuming?
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 5:27:57 AM EDT
[#3]
That what i am assuming as well. Once the brush has given enough to go through it should be fine. I don't think he did it on purpose. I just think he grabbed the wrong size brush and didn't think much because it went through. I saw him using it and didn't think anything about it becuase it was moving through. I saw it was for .27 after he was done.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:09:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Thee's really n reason to use any brush through the bore (unless the bore is completely caked with crud). A few solvent soaked patches followed by dry patches is better. I'll use a chamber brosh, but very seldom use a bore brush.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:42:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:45:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I use them after a weekend course and a heavy round count with very few cleanings in between. I just was wondering if a .27 brush would have caused damageto the barrel. I guess the answer is no. I will let him know that others have also said to not worry about it.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top