Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/22/2003 9:04:03 AM EDT
Just walked in with my first BM target rifle. Any suggestions for breaking it in? Does it need to be stripped & litely oiled? Seems to be fairly well lubricated- maybe wiped clean then oiled again, maybe?

thanks!
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 9:08:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Clean it, as per the manual that came with it, then proceed to put rounds downrange. Congrats, and enjoy the hell out of it!

btw: Pics of a new purchase are pretty much required around here; if you have a pic, but not a host for it, e-mail me, and I'll post it for ya.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 9:12:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Ditto, the BM manual is a great step by step book to learn how to field strip and clean the AR15 and you should ALWAYS clean a brand new gun before shooting it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:17:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't have a camera so no photos, sorry!

I'm definitely going to clean it before taking it out.

What's the tolerance for filth for the Bushmaster XM15 E2? Can it take a couple hundred rounds then be put up & taken back out for a few hundred more before it needs cleaning? ( I've got a lever action I bought used so no manual. I've never cleaned it & use it for target shooting. Not one problem with it! I do need to look up a manual for it though....just keep forgetting.) Not lazy about cleaning, just curious as being a mil-spec, it should be about to take some abuse.

thanks!
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 11:14:58 AM EDT
[#4]
What's the tolerance for filth for the Bushmaster XM15 E2? Can it take a couple hundred rounds then be put up & taken back out for a few hundred more before it needs cleaning?
View Quote

O yes, definitely. I've run 700 rounds in a day with no cleaning at all and mine will easily do a thousand rounds between cleanings. It will probably do a lot better than that; but I've yet to test it beyond that.

Just because it is a new gun though, I'd keep it well lubed and have a look at it after every shooting just to be sure no unusual wear is occuring from the odd out of spec part.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 1:16:32 PM EDT
[#5]
NEVER put a firearm away dirty.  You paid good money for it. Keep it clean and take of it, it will take care of you.

Will it damage it? No but thats not the point.

Link Posted: 5/22/2003 3:54:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Goatboy needs to make this required reading for any new ARFcom member... [;)]

Download the -10 Operator's Manual w/Components List... pdf format... know it, learn it, live it... [headbang]

Oh... welcome to the black rifle addiction!

[url]www.ar15.com/content/books[/url]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 4:08:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I do clean my guns afterwards (except the lever action) but what little abuse I do, it's nowhere close to what it should be able to handle & I wanted to know in advance from people that may push limits. I take care of my investments. But I like to test them a little too....
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:26:53 AM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

Then what is the point? If the gun operates as it is designed and it isn't being damaged, exactly why would you clean it if you know that it is a long way from reaching the point where malfunction or damage will occur?

Link Posted: 5/23/2003 7:36:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
NEVER put a firearm away dirty.  You paid good money for it. Keep it clean and take of it, it will take care of you.

View Quote

Obsessive cleaning of a gun can cause more wear in the chamber and barrel than shooting it.  That's not to say I don't advocating cleaning your gun, but don't go overboard.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:36:40 AM EDT
[#10]
You never know when you will need your rifle to function as long as possible without being able to clean it... so clean it when you get back from the range.  One day you may have to grab and run, and be glad it is in tip top shape.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 11:34:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Congrats on the new rifle!  Have fun.  I'm thinking about getting a Bushmaster 16" preban upper for my Colt lower.  I'll have to get some of the funky pins to make it fit, but oh well.  I'll probably get a Rock River complete rifle someday if I can ever get my wife to look the other way!
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 3:27:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Then what is the point? If the gun operates as it is designed and it isn't being damaged, exactly why would you clean it if you know that it is a long way from reaching the point where malfunction or damage will occur?

View Quote
Insurance.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 4:04:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Let's assume the rifle will reliably fire a certain number of rounds before it clogs up with powder debris.

If you need that rifle in an emergency, would you not rather have the count at zero when you sling it over your shoulder than 600 or 700 rounds since its last cleaning?

Clean it properly with an unjointed rod and bronze brushes and it should last through your lifetime, and the lifetime of at least one heir.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 4:09:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Obsessive cleaning of a gun can cause more wear in the chamber and barrel than shooting it.  That's not to say I don't advocating cleaning your gun, but don't go overboard.
View Quote
There's no such thing as "over-cleaning" a rifle, if you use the proper cleaning equipment.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:18:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd recommend the USMC M16 Book too - you can probably find one from somebody here, or at your local Army/Navy Surplus store.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top