Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/12/2006 12:14:43 PM EDT
Ok trying to decide on what case to get its between the two listed bellow...both made by storm

IF I use the box case I have to seperate hte lower from the upper but I get a lot more room for other options, mags scope etc.....just looking for everyones .02

box

Rifle
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:54:29 PM EDT
i dont like hard cases, a bit bulky to me.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:14:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/12/2006 1:17:29 PM EDT by Matt_B]
For civilians, it never hurts to have a case that doesn't scream "I AM A RIFLE CASE!" Howver, there is a significanlty cheaper alternative (then case you linked to) on the Maryland AR15 Shooters Site

That being said, I bought a Pelican 1750 case for my AR when I started shooting and used it about 3 times. For me needs, it's just to heavy and bulky. If I'm just carting my AR back and forth to the range, I don't need a case that is that tough. I just bought Blackhaks Discreet Carry bags. There are plenty of companies making similar cases. If you get one in black, it doesn't look like a weapon case as much compared to getting one in OD green, tan or some camo pattern. Do a search for "bags", "carrying bags", "soft cases", something to that effect and you'll find more info.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:23:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Matt_B:
For civilians, it never hurts to have a case that doesn't scream "I AM A RIFLE CASE!" Howver, there is a significanlty cheaper alternative (then case you linked to) on the Maryland AR15 Shooters Site

That being said, I bought a Pelican 1750 case for my AR when I started shooting and used it about 3 times. For me needs, it's just to heavy and bulky. If I'm just carting my AR back and forth to the range, I don't need a case that is that tough. I just bought Blackhaks Discreet Carry bags. There are plenty of companies making similar cases. If you get one in black, it doesn't look like a weapon case as much compared to getting one in OD green, tan or some camo pattern. Do a search for "bags", "carrying bags", "soft cases", something to that effect and you'll find more info.

It's a gift so money isnt a problem and I will use it when I travel to protect the rifle...I just dont want anything that screamsrifle if someone looks into my vehicle.....anyone else have any advice...
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:46:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BURN:

Originally Posted By Matt_B:

It's a gift so money isnt a problem and I will use it when I travel to protect the rifle...I just dont want anything that screamsrifle if someone looks into my vehicle.....anyone else have any advice...

uh, then just put it in the trunk, if possible.

I use a cheap $10 hard case from the dept. store. It works fine for transport to and from ranges.
Everytime I think about buying a nice soft-case, I look at it as money I could be spending on ammo.
Then I end up buying ammo. Which is why I still have a cheap case.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:47:08 AM EDT
I think you can get the rifle length in blaze orange or yellow. If you want to go discreet go with a color other than the "military" colors. I still want one of the blue or red soft bags with the adidas or nike emblem on them. Keep it on the D/L
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:22:31 AM EDT
For storage, flying, or overseas work the hard case is the way to go. If you're trying to be discreet, be discreet. Buy one of the garment bags that's setup for holding any variety of carbines, rifles, pistols, or shotguns.

If you have a spare garment bag, some old GI sleeping pads, and a good tailorshop you can make one yourself.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:39:40 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:00:21 AM EDT
It all depends on what you want to do with the case.

I like the hard cases, as it allows you to fly with your rifles. I have a long flat version right now, but I am thinking about getting the box style. Why?

2 - ARs can fit in the standard rifle style flat case, but I am thinking about bringing 3 rifles. Maybe a box style will work better for 3. 3 Lowers side by side, and 3 uppers Stacked Vertical in a box. My optics could be placed vertical too.

I couldn't vote, because hard and saoft cases are equally as good, it just depends on what you want to do with it.

The box might be better as it doesn't look like a rifle case.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:00:46 AM EDT
If I was traveling I could understand a hard case. Otherwise I can't stand them. I prefer cordura nylon soft cases. Allen makes a nice one and so does a company called Kodiak. Both are under 30 bucks. Will hold a rifle scoped and has storage pockets along with 5 magazine pockets that will hold 2 Ar mags per pocket.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:10:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/13/2006 11:13:05 AM EDT by MrMojoRising]
If you want to be "discreet" you can pack the lower in a laptop case and the upper in a camera tripod bag. Of course both of those are as likely to be stolen as any rifle case. Anything you travel with that is important enough to warrant it's own case is tempting to thieves. Or you could always get a large cooler and mark it as hazardous/human waste and slap some big corrosive diamonds on it.
Top Top