Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2004 7:54:08 PM EST
I've never used one but are they worth the money? What about the Leupold magnetic bore sighter SWFA has? give me your comments.
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 3:55:49 AM EST
FWIW, with bolt rifles, simply removing the bolt and by sighting thru the bore, with rifle benched properly, adjusting the scope to POA thru the bore will get ya on the paper by eyeballing. My old gunsmith friend is so practiced at this he'll be within an inch in most cases, me I ain't that good but well on the paper and have NO NEED for a bore sighter.

ARs are abit more involved, simply seperate the lower from the upper, remove the b/bc/ch and bench the upper. Perform the same sighting process, align the scope by eyeballing thru the bore, replace the b/bc/ch and lower and then zero by adjusting rounds on the paper.

Hope this helps out,
Mike

Link Posted: 8/5/2004 4:19:16 AM EST
Mike,

Do you have any tricks or tips on bore sighting a 10/22?

-Chris
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 4:39:31 AM EST

Originally Posted By Yojimbo:
Mike,

Do you have any tricks or tips on bore sighting a 10/22?

-Chris

As neither method mentioned above will work w/ this application, we simply place a box at 25 yards, then move to 50 yards for final zeroing.

As the 22 drops about 2.5" at 100 yards (with the cheapo Winchester 40grn. HP 500 rnd. value boxes we shoot) we generally just stick to the 50 yard zero for pest control and "hold-over" for longer shots. FWIW even my hvy barreled 10/22 ain't real accurate out that far using the cheap ammo, but I do pop pine cones on occassion off the top rail of our 100 target holder for hold-over practice.

Just don't see the need for spending money on things that one rarely needs, especially at some of the prices they charge for those fancy smanchy laser things, I mean heck some of my rifles haven't been re-zeroed in decades, simply cause they still shoot to POA.

Sorry but some rifles like your example require the old standby methods.

Mike

Link Posted: 8/5/2004 7:24:32 AM EST
thanks wilson
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 9:22:08 AM EST

Originally Posted By Sharpshot:
thanks wilson

Ditto!
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 3:13:22 PM EST
Some find that a bore sighter is only used to get you on paper, however as with any tool other uses can be found. I have several rifles some scoped some not. I'm not one to leave a $400. dollars scope on a deer rifle only to be used for a few weeks out of the year. I regularly switch my scopes from rifle to rifle to get the most for my money. I use an optical collimater to sight in. I will agree not much better than looking thru a bore at a target but thats wear the other uses come in to play. After the final zero at the range I will put the collimater back on the rifle to see where on the graph the now zeroed in rifle crosshairs are. I mark the location to its relative position on graph paper along with the load, what rifle and scope and the power range used for final zero. Now when I pull that scope off for other uses I can remount it later with very little range work. Can't do that looking down the bore.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 5:16:22 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 5:26:30 PM EST
The military issues the the Laser boresighter -010, once you insert the mandrel into the tube you boresight it to the tube prior to boresighting the sights of the weapon. It doesn't create pin point accuracy, but you can hit targets with your weapon with it out to 300 meters without having to shoot in the weapon.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 6:12:14 PM EST
I think I'm going to eventually get me a laser bore sighter. From what it sounds like it won't be a waste of money. Thanks for everyones input.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 6:16:10 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/6/2004 6:16:51 PM EST by SinistralRifleman]
Link Posted: 8/7/2004 3:33:48 AM EST
I'm pretty sure they are made by ITI, they look like a small AN/PAQ-4 with a mandrel attached behind the laser. There is a photo of one and explanation here Night Warrior Handbook

When I go to the office on Monday I will check who makes them.
Link Posted: 8/7/2004 9:30:54 AM EST
Would any members have any experience with the Site Lite SL-100? www.cabelas.com/products/Cpod0006666.jsp

I'm gearing up for a bore sighter and that was one of my considerations.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:54:23 PM EST
SR, which model laser boresighter are you using?
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:56:07 PM EST
Insight Technology M30
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:35:47 PM EST
Top Top