Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/29/2006 8:26:34 AM EDT
Hey guys, this will be my first build and so far I have learned quite a bit from this forum - thanks for all!

A few of the vomponents I will be using for the upper are: Noveske 10.5", KX3, and DD 9.0 lite rail. All of the information I have read details installation of a standard FSB, handguard, etc.

In my mind I am having a tough time seeing the three aforementioned parts being bolted together. Maybe someone can take a moment and describe it in detail.

My thoughts are the barrel will be positioned into the upper, the DD rail will slip over and be spun in place, and then the KX3 will be cranked on. So how do I hold the barrel with a barrel vise when torquing the KX3 since there will be only an inch of the barrel exposed in front of the rail.

Yes, the upper will be in a vise but I though torquing the KX3 on a 10.5" barrel attached to the upper in a vise would be a bad thing.

Maybe I am thinking about this all backwords - please let me know. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 8:36:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you using a standard FSB or a low-pro gas block?
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:58:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Low-pro gas block - Noveske, Vltor, Larue, etc.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:12:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Put the DD 9" on but leave it loose, then install the gasblock and gas tube. Then finish installing the DD9".

You will end up with about 5/8 in. of barrel left in front of the handgaurd. You will need to improvise some type of barrel clamp to fit around the barrel so you can use a vice, I suggest wood or aluminum. Then you can torque the KX3 down properly.

Thats the way I would do it.

Good Luck

Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:57:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Instead of barrel blocks, use an upper receiver block like this one to hold the upper during assembly.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 8:19:09 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Instead of barrel blocks, use an upper receiver block like this one to hold the upper during assembly.

I dont think that vice block will work with the new DD lite rail.

Also, I believe the correct procedure to torqueing a muzzle device is to use a barrel clamp mounted in the vice. The reasoning is, is that you take a chance of breaking or deforming the upper reciever at the barrel nut threads where the barrel pin is inset.

But I realize that alot folks have used the afformentioned action vice, without any problems. YMMV
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 9:09:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

wouldn't that put a lot of torque on the barrel indexing pin? i could foresee that sheering off the pin or damaging the upper causing the barrel to loosen up.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top