Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/19/2006 9:35:42 PM EDT
Hey guys im planning on building an Ar15 with a LMT lower and possibly a LMT upper, I wanted to know if the LMT bolt carrier groups were good and worth the money also they have a normal Bolt carrier group that sels for 129 and the enhanced version which sells for 285 is the 285 one worth the extra money??
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 10:23:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I sought the answer to that same question not too long ago. Simple answer, the enhanced unit is enhanced for full auto. If your not going to use it full auto then you wont see any difference. If you do use full auto you may see a difference.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 4:01:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 4:03:56 PM EDT
[#3]
LMT actually stakes their gas keys right...unlike stag, rra, and cmt

and if you wanna be ultimately confident just get a colt bcg
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 4:21:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I sought the answer to that same question not too long ago. Simple answer, the enhanced unit is enhanced for full auto. If your not going to use it full auto then you wont see any difference. If you do use full auto you may see a difference.

Could you provide some additional details please? I just purchased a LMT enhanced bolt/carrier and based it upon what I read on their web page:

Includes both our enhanced carrier which incorporate a longer dwell time allowing barrel pressure to be greatly reduced and promoting easier extraction, and our enhanced bolt which has a more resilient coating and stronger heat treat, as well as the cartridge case being fully supported by the bolt face.

The standard bolt/carrier manufactured by LMT offer none of the abovementioned properties. Nothing on their site suggests that these additional features would only be used for full auto applications.

Please provide additional info if you can - I would be interested to read it.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 4:36:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's the cure-all, look at the BCG in an M16. It doesn't have some tardified BCG in it, so why do you really need "enhanced features" for semi? Listen I've been there too, considering buying one of those when I thought of the BCG in my SP1 that has thousands of rounds through in with low and high grade ammunition and has never had any ftf's, fte's or any other failure to do anythings for that matter. I think there has been more problems with this BCG than the invisible problems that it is claimed to remedy. Just my opinion spend twice as much if you like, but I would rather spend the difference on ammo and mags.
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 5:19:23 PM EDT
[#6]
if you guys want a way to get an "enhanced BCG" here's what you do...following the SOPMOD enhancement

go to brownells (i am not affiliated but know of no other place to order all these parts together)

order the 10pk of black inserts for the extractor

order either wolff springs or colt gold springs

order the crane "O" ring

now you have your "enhanced" BCG and it'll last you a very long time.  

or you could just order a D-Fender and it'll do the same trick

either option will run you around 8-12 dollars or so and i have used both methods and have had no problems and my spent casings land in the exact same spot every time

bottom line is....don't waste your money on the $2XX + "enhanced BCG" especially for a semi auto
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 11:51:31 AM EDT
[#7]
height=8
Quoted:
go to brownells (i am not affiliated but know of no other place to order all these parts together)

order the 10pk of black inserts for the extractor

order either wolff springs or colt gold springs

order the crane "O" ring

Do you have part numbers?  I only found the Fulton Armory gas piston ring, and don't know what you mean by "black inserts for the extractor."
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:12:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I must have received the only defective colt bcg.  I bought my first colt ar, and was very pleased with it, until I hit about 3000 rounds.  The rifle jammed up on me.  I though :  fart, I must not have cleaned it well.  Went home, cleaned thoroughly, back to the range.  Damn, jammed up after about 200 rounds.  I then noticed that after cleaning it that time, that the screws were loose on the bolt carrier key.  I tightened the screws up, went back to the range (I didn't know at the time what the stakes were for) and the damn things came loose again.  I then found ar15.com, did some research, and you guys are awesome.  I found the thread on bolt carrier key stakes, and BAAMMM,  fixed.  My point is that this website is awesome, and if you have a problem with your AR, just do some digging, and 98% of the time, you will find what you are looking for.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top