Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/22/2004 5:43:22 AM EST
First off I'm 99% sure I'm going Mid-Length. Secondly, ever since I bought a harris bipod for my rem 700 I'm completely sold on their usefulness. You can be walking in a field or in the woods and if you need to shoot, bam, you got something to shoot from. I'd like to put on on the mid-length. I know someone has done this, how is the fit? Is there enough room for your hands? I don't really want a vert grip. Also, IS THERE A BIPOD THAT TAKES UP LESS HANDGUARD REAL ESTATE THAN A HARRIS? Thanks yall.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:01:53 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/22/2004 6:03:43 AM EST by mongo001]
Hey Doc, you asked about my rig and what you said applies to my rifle. There is enough room for proper hand position and a bipod installed, but those that follow will say, "Why have all that extra weight on a carbine! You will never need a bipod to shoot a carbine!". Take it for what it's worth and consider the source and make you own decision.

The Versa-Pod takes up a little less space and may be what you are looking for. It also has a quasi-hand stop built into it. It will have your bipod sit a little forward of your handguard also.

OR you could use a Harris, like I did and still be OK for what you want. Mine is installed more for picture posing than anything else, but I sight in all my rifles with either a bipod or bag, so if it has a rail, it likely gets sighted in with a bipod. With the PRI tube, there wouldn't be enough room for a FVG and a bipod, but other rail systems like KAC, DD, LaRue, etc. have more rail real estate for mounting multiple accessories.

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:04:36 PM EST
On an armalite tube you will have about 6" from the tilt tension screw on the harris to the mag well.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:30:36 PM EST
+1 on the Versa Pod. It's not as fandangoly as the swivel Harris units but it's quick to deploy, and it's mount puts it further out down the barrel which I like pretty well. Beats lugging sandbags to the range too.
Top Top