Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/17/2004 3:15:44 PM EDT
This week I have gone out shooting three times...burned well over a case of ammo...in my bushy 16" carbine...

I've been wanting to work of FTF drills...but the damned thing just wont jam....anyone else have this problem of total reliability with their bushmasters?

I was hoping someone on this board would send me a Colt so I could work on my FTF drills....

...any takers...
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:19:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Try flippin' the selector over to full and see if that won't make it choke?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:25:37 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
This week I have gone out shooting three times...burned well over a case of ammo...in my bushy 16" carbine...

I've been wanting to work of FTF drills...but the damned thing just wont jam....anyone else have this problem of total reliability with their bushmasters?

I was hoping someone on this board would send me a Colt so I could work on my FTF drills....

...any takers...

If my Colt ever jams I'll let you use it. While your waiting you could use one of the Non Colts from my agency, their always jammed up. We've replaced our sidearms with hammers (Eastwing of course) to keep them in service.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:31:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd send you a Colt but because I'm not military or law enforcement, they won't sell one to me.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:02:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had the same problems with both of my Bushmasters. I can't get them to choke with Wolf ammo either.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:38:24 PM EDT
[#5]
damn..it makes me wish I spent the extra 200 bucks to buy a pony...

...then I could atleast get some decent training in.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:50:13 PM EDT
[#6]
quit complaining

try some crappy mags; there cheaper that colt ars, but near the same quality
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:51:42 PM EDT
[#7]
If you seriously want to do malfunction drills, get some blanks.  Mix them in with live ammo and load up your mags.  Without the adaptor the rifle won't cycle.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:04:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Keep em clean, both Bushy and the Horsey won't let you down.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:09:28 PM EDT
[#9]
That blank idea was really good advice....

I'd love to have a colt...Hell..I'd take any rifle you wanna give me...no hard feelings huh?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:22:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If you seriously want to do malfunction drills, get some blanks.  Mix them in with live ammo and load up your mags.  Without the adaptor the rifle won't cycle.

Have you seen the dummy rounds? We've been using these for a while and experience all kinds of malfunctions when combined with an inexperienced shooter.

edited for spellin, I'm bein pestered (zombievt)
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:22:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
That blank idea was really good advice....

We did that at Blackwater during our course.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:24:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have you seen the dumby rounds? We've been using these for a while and experience all kinds of malfunctions when combined with an inexperiences shooter.

Even with experienced shooters, your going to get malfunctions with dummy rounds.

edited to add:
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:31:20 PM EDT
[#13]
when u get a jam, what do you do?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:46:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Jams are something that require tools to fix. Malfunctions are what we are discussing here.

Immediate action drill:

push/pull on magazine
rotate rifle over on right side
rack the bolt vigorously with charging handle ONCE
reaquire target and engage if necessary
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:01:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Jams are something that require tools to fix. Malfunctions are what we are discussing here.

Immediate action drill Under direct fire:

Transition to sidearm/secondary weapon
Find/retain cover
if/when the oppurtunity presents itself

push/pull on magazine
while "covering" your target w/ weapon muzzle rotate rifle over on right side
rack the bolt vigorously with charging handle ONCE

Some schools teach not to attempt to clear a malfunction w/o inspecting the chamber visually, as certain malfunctions can be further complicated into "jams" by attempting to clear.  However, that under direct fire, while preferable, can be somewhat "time consuming" and unrealistic.  The problem w/ teaching that practice, when not under direct fire and or when cover is available, is that learning, or trying to learn, 2 different malfunction action drills will complicate the ability of the shooter to react "instinctively" in either instance.

/S2
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:15:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Doctrine at Gunsite is 25 yards and in, transition to secondary weapon.

But then, engagement distance wasn't specified, was it?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:21:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Use Olympic brand ammo, they are cheap and guarranteed to jam.  Check the crimp on the ammo and you will see what I mean.  I played with a group of Marines before they went to Iraq and this ammo jams.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:26:59 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Doctrine at Gunsite is 25 yards and in, transition to secondary weapon.

But then, engagement distance wasn't specified, was it?

No.  I meant the follow up as option 2, not an "in lieu of"...

Thanks,

/S2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top