Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/19/2003 9:23:28 AM EDT
what is best way to clean the area btween the lugs and the chamber.  and what about bronze brush in chromed barrel
Link Posted: 4/19/2003 12:32:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Sinclair International makes a tool to clean out the area in the barrel extension (this is the lugs as you refer to). I don't have one, I just use other ways such as a pair of forceps with some patches.

A bronze brush will not hurt a chrome lined barrel. The chrome is far harder than the bronze bristles.
Link Posted: 4/19/2003 4:33:57 PM EDT
[#2]
appreciate it!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/19/2003 4:48:32 PM EDT
[#3]
usgi chamber brush
Link Posted: 4/23/2003 5:24:21 AM EDT
[#4]
The best thing I have found is the good old low tech Q-Tip. I can use it to get between the lugs and everything.

I have the USGI chamber brush and that is good if you have a REALLY dirty chamber area. But most of the time the good ol Q-tip works great.

Q-Tips are the best thing to ever happen to gun cleaning...
Link Posted: 4/25/2003 3:27:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I agree.  The Q tip.
Link Posted: 4/25/2003 12:46:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Q-tips in my house can only be found in my gun room. It's funny when I have company and i send them into the cleaning station so they can clean the wax out of their ears. Hell i actually prefer a little breakfree to clean my ears squeeky clean with a q-tip
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 11:20:39 PM EDT
[#7]
 When the lug area on my ar's gets really dirty I flush the locking area with WD-40, then blast it with compressed air.  For those of us without compressors...canned air ( the kind for computers and such ) works GREAT.
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 7:52:40 PM EDT
[#8]
When the lug area on my ar's gets really dirty I flush the locking area with WD-40, then blast it with compressed air. For those of us without compressors...canned air ( the kind for computers and such ) works GREAT.
View Quote

I use remoil instead of WD-40 for stuff like that...  The remoil does great with the q-tips for cleaning.

edited becuase I can't speeeeel...
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 8:01:53 PM EDT
[#9]
1.  Chamber brush to remove the tough stuff.
2.  Blast with CLP.
3.  Blast with brake parts cleaner/gunscrubber

And this is only when you are being really anal... like my once a year cleaning.

Most of the time, its just the chamber brush and thats it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 4:54:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Yep. CLP soaked Q-tips bent to an 'ƒ' shape work for me.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:38:37 PM EDT
[#11]
G.I. Chamber brush soaked in solvent(CLP,Hoppes,Mpro-7,MC25 whatever) then go after loosened crud with a Sinclair tool,or the economical Midway tool and swabs.

Flushing with a spray might work but ya don't know if the gorp is all out untill it gets swabbed.

Good luck!
S-28
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top