Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/25/2005 4:29:02 PM EDT
i was looking at putting a nsn acog on my m4gery but then again the eotech seems like a more viable option. i am wondering from "you guys" exprience what is the most versitile optic on the market today?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:31:40 PM EDT
[#1]
My advice is before you buy shoot the optic.  I am sure you can find someone around here that has an ACOG or EOTech on their rifle.

I personally like Aimpoints but the EOTech is nice too.

Just ask around.

Max
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:33:03 PM EDT
[#2]
It depends on what your using the weapon for.  The acog and the eotec are not the same type of scope, and are used for different applications.

The best bet is not to limit yourself to just one scope, unless the weapon is going to be primarily used for just one type of shooting.  For take your time precision, I'd go with the acog, for fast action shooting i'd go with a Aimpoint, but the eotec is a great replacement for the aimpoint, they both are fine and you should choose which one your more comfortable with.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:34:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
My advice is before you buy shoot the optic.
Max

Don't shoot the optic before you buy, because then your gonna wind up having to pay for a scope with a hole in it...
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:35:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:37:42 PM EDT
[#5]
im basically looking for somthing that can shoot about 600 yards fairly well and be used for cqb ranges when not needed for precision.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:13:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:25:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:12:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
(battery life, type and availability could be a concern for the TEOWAWKI types)

If I could afford one, I could afford batteries
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:28:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Go acog cause....you may not have the luxury of calling time out to hunt down the ever-ready bunny.

Besides that?...the acog is always "ON & At The Ready".....24/7...nuth'in ta "turn on"..

nuth'in ta "turn off".
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:22:54 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Go acog cause....you may not have the luxury of calling time out to hunt down the ever-ready bunny.

Besides that?...the acog is always "ON & At The Ready".....24/7...nuth'in ta "turn on"..

nuth'in ta "turn off".

This is exactly what I dont like about ACOGs and is their largest weakness... no batteries.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:04:36 AM EDT
[#11]
they all are good and all serve a purpose.

i love my battery powered aimpoint with its forever lasting battery and my acogs that i still cant find the off switch for.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:03:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:18:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
This is exactly what I dont like about ACOGs and is their largest weakness... no batteries.

Wait.
What?
How is that a weakness? Are you being sarcastic or is there something I'm missing?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:36:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wait.
What?
How is that a weakness? Are you being sarcastic or is there something I'm missing?

Two reasons.  

First in a dark indoor setting with no ambient light and a weapon light the reticle goes from illuminated by titium to unilluminated when the light is activated.  Since BAC requires a BRIGHT illuminated reticle to work you loose the BAC and have to hunt for the now black reticle against a cluttered background.  This is slow.  This is unacceptable for CQB type use at night.  I considered a Dr Optic to use indoors witht the ACOG, I considered a laser to supplement the ACOG indoors.  In the end I decided to save for a S&B short dot.

Second.  One battery on an Aimpoint will last as long as you may ever own the optic and if turned up high enough cant wash out, the S&B short dot with its auto off timer and reasonable battery life has lasted a Marine for an entire deployment.  When it comes time to replace a dead battery it takes seconds and you can buy one at Radio Shack or Walmart.  The tritium in an ACOG will slowly dim over time and become less and less usefull.  When its time to replace the tritium it takes a long process of sending it in the mail for weeks and hundreeds of dollars to get new tritium put in.  If Trijicon went under or stopped offering civilian tritium replacement can you go to Walmart and get new Tritium?

If ACOGs had battery augmentation you would not have the issues of a non lit reticle that cant be adjusted when in the circumstances that cause the reticle to go dead.  Also dead tritium would be a non issue since you could use the battery back up at low power.  I would actually prefer the fiber optics of an ACOG combined with an LED based auto adjusting (like the Dr Optic) reticle with an off switch.  This would allow the reticle to never wash out, be easy to keep running for decades by turning it off when you dont need it, and work via the fiber optics even when turned off or out of batteries.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:47:58 PM EDT
[#15]
different optics serve different purposes

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:02:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Two reasons.  

First in a dark indoor setting with no ambient light and a weapon light the reticle goes from illuminated by titium to unilluminated when the light is activated.  Since BAC requires a BRIGHT illuminated reticle to work you loose the BAC and have to hunt for the now black reticle against a cluttered background.  This is slow.  This is unacceptable for CQB type use at night.  I considered a Dr Optic to use indoors witht the ACOG, I considered a laser to supplement the ACOG indoors.  In the end I decided to save for a S&B short dot.

Second.  One battery on an Aimpoint will last as long as you may ever own the optic and if turned up high enough cant wash out, the S&B short dot with its auto off timer and reasonable battery life has lasted a Marine for an entire deployment.  When it comes time to replace a dead battery it takes seconds and you can buy one at Radio Shack or Walmart.  The tritium in an ACOG will slowly dim over time and become less and less usefull.  When its time to replace the tritium it takes a long process of sending it in the mail for weeks and hundreeds of dollars to get new tritium put in.  If Trijicon went under or stopped offering civilian tritium replacement can you go to Walmart and get new Tritium?

If ACOGs had battery augmentation you would not have the issues of a non lit reticle that cant be adjusted when in the circumstances that cause the reticle to go dead.  Also dead tritium would be a non issue since you could use the battery back up at low power.  I would actually prefer the fiber optics of an ACOG combined with an LED based auto adjusting (like the Dr Optic) reticle with an off switch.  This would allow the reticle to never wash out, be easy to keep running for decades by turning it off when you dont need it, and work via the fiber optics even when turned off or out of batteries.

I see.  Thanks for the explanation. Do eotechs have the wash out problem? Are their reticles bright enough for BAC.

sorry for the thread-jack.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:10:44 PM EDT
[#17]
EOtechs can be turned up high enough to not wash out like all non magnified dot scopes.

It is magnified optics which tend to have dim reticles and short battery lives that make OEG difficult for magnified optics.  BAC (Bindon AIming Concept) allows the BRIGHTLY lit reticle to be used like an occluded eye gunsight (OEG).  Basically the non diminant eye sees the the target and the dominant eye sees the the lit reticle.  The images are superimposed by the brain and you get a 1X sight with the left eye and a magnifed view with the right.  Inpratice you see the 1X view when swinging the weapon and the back ground is blurred with motion and when you put the reticle on your target and stop you get the magnifed view to snap into your brain.  WIth practice you can use either or at will.  BAC is not something you use unless you have magnification however red dots act like OEG when you cover the front of the optic.

This is why people like the 1-4X variables and try to find one that is bright enough to use BAC style at 4X and that can work as an OEG at 1X if needed.  The only scope that can do that is the short dot.  The Meopta 1-4X is close but still no cigar but better than most of the other options.  The Aimpoint plus 3X magnifier works well but its not a true variable scope.  The Aimpoint 3X magnifier also works with the EOtech.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top