Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/10/2007 7:17:50 AM EST
I have a model1sales upper reciever block that clamps into a vice. Will it work well enough to install a barrel onto my new larue stealth upper? Also I see that it is required to dremel out a portion to allow the larue rail install onto it. Anybody prefer the 2 pin style block instead on the clamp in block?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:25:15 AM EST

Originally Posted By stretch415:
I have a model1sales upper reciever block that clamps into a vice. Will it work well enough to install a barrel onto my new larue stealth upper? Also I see that it is required to dremel out a portion to allow the larue rail install onto it. Anybody prefer the 2 pin style block instead on the clamp in block?

my bushmaster action block didn't need to be dremeled to install the larue rail... maybe i got lucky...

i hate the 2-pin style ones for doing any barrel work... a lot of barrels i've dealt with needed a HELL OF A LOT of torque to pop the barrel nuts off... and i can't see transferring that kind of force down to the takedown/pivot lugs on the upper with no ill effects...

the 2-pin styles are nice for installing rails, flashhiders, etc. but for removing/installing a barrel i prefer the clamshell style...
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:28:25 AM EST
thanks for the response. I think Ill save my $50 and use the one I have. I just saw in the DIY forum that they needed to dremel out a notch for the allen wrench clamp piece on the larue but Ill check before I do it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:44:08 AM EST

Originally Posted By stretch415:
thanks for the response. I think Ill save my $50 and use the one I have. I just saw in the DIY forum that they needed to dremel out a notch for the allen wrench clamp piece on the larue but Ill check before I do it.

for the "anti-rotational device"... it will be tight... but you shouldn't have a problem
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:53:05 AM EST
I use the DPMS "panther claw"

I've read you're not supposed to use them this way but I've never had a problem with the 10 or so uppers I've done. From the pics I've seen, MSTN uses the similar block from PRI.

Top Top