Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2009 9:28:53 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/31/2009 9:56:35 AM EST by wpshooter]
As soon as I get all of the parts purchased, I am going to attempt to put a lower AR-15 receiver together exactly as I want it to be configured. I already have my lower, a Tactical Innovations T15BDX with STBA.

Are there better choices for the take-down & pivots pins to be used than the Yankee Hill Machine Co. EZ-Pull pins ? I have tried the KNS push botton pins in the past and I do NOT like them because to me they are harder to get out of the gun than the stock pins that come on most ARs, so they are out of the running.

Are there any other pins that I should consider other than the Yankee EZ-Pull ?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 10:09:31 AM EST
The mil-spec pins that come from everybody are fine for me.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 2:32:21 PM EST
Originally Posted By Danner130:
The mil-spec pins that come from everybody are fine for me.

^^
This.

I don't see the point of adding another piece of the rifle for me to lose... Real pins stay with the lower, and they work just fine.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 2:52:15 PM EST
Originally Posted By wpshooter:
As soon as I get all of the parts purchased, I am going to attempt to put a lower AR-15 receiver together exactly as I want it to be configured. I already have my lower, a Tactical Innovations T15BDX with STBA.

Are there better choices for the take-down & pivots pins to be used than the Yankee Hill Machine Co. EZ-Pull pins ? I have tried the KNS push botton pins in the past and I do NOT like them because to me they are harder to get out of the gun than the stock pins that come on most ARs, so they are out of the running.

Are there any other pins that I should consider other than the Yankee EZ-Pull ?

Thanks.

Are you spying through my workshop window?

I have exactly those parts and the exact same problem with the kns pins. im curious to know what you end up with.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 6:34:49 PM EST
Standard LPK pins always worked just fine for me.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 6:39:03 PM EST
Word of caution on that billet lower. I had one I put together and I had to modify the bottom of the bolt release as the stylized body gets in the way. Pretty ridiculous that the company decided that looking pretty was more important that working properly with mil-spec parts.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:30:30 AM EST
Originally Posted By CPTI:
Word of caution on that billet lower. I had one I put together and I had to modify the bottom of the bolt release as the stylized body gets in the way. Pretty ridiculous that the company decided that looking pretty was more important that working properly with mil-spec parts.

Can you expound upon this ?

What do you mean that the stylized body gets in the way ?

Was your lower a Tactical Innovations model T15BDX ?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:01:36 PM EST
I've had good luck with rubbing a tiny amount of a good grease such as Tetra Gun grease or even a little molybdenum paste onto the pins when installing them, and then pushing them in and out several times to get the grease spread around. This makes them a lot easier to push in and out.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:29:33 PM EST
Originally Posted By CPTI: Pretty ridiculous that the company decided that looking pretty was more important that working properly with mil-spec parts.

Ridiculous enough that you bought it? Should have went with a standard lower than a 'pretty' lower!

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:19:36 PM EST
Originally Posted By Vamped:
Originally Posted By CPTI: Pretty ridiculous that the company decided that looking pretty was more important that working properly with mil-spec parts.

Ridiculous enough that you bought it? Should have went with a standard lower than a 'pretty' lower!

I'm sure he didn't know this before he bought it.

As far as the mil-spec take down pin, I've installed over a dozen DPMS parts kits. Some of the front take down pins were OK, some took a good amount of force to move it and others had a light click. I've installed around 6 RRA kits and they were all good and I was able to push the pin with my fingers.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:49:12 AM EST
Originally Posted By AZ3GUNNER:
Originally Posted By Vamped:

I'm sure he didn't know this before he bought it.

As far as the mil-spec take down pin, I've installed over a dozen DPMS parts kits. Some of the front take down pins were OK, some took a good amount of force to move it and others had a light click. I've installed around 6 RRA kits and they were all good and I was able to push the pin with my fingers.

There's the problem right there! I've had the same experience. With mine, though, to problems seemed to be with the detents.

DPMS and some mystery shit from AKpartskits have been the only pins I've had to do too much worrying about. But once you get them sorted, they work just fine.

[/My $0.02.]

Top Top