Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/10/2005 7:36:01 AM EDT
So who makes the best bolt carrier? what's the difference between stainless, chrome, and normal bolt carriers? anyone make a TI bolt carrier?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:56:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you want what is considered "cutting edge"?

Then get a JP Stainless. Ask Zac Smith about it and how he likes it.
Also see les baer chrome bolt carrier. Again ask Zac Smith. He may pop in here.

If you want something not considered on the bleeding edge of technology a good LMT or COLT bolt carrier will serve you well.

Dont get a chrome bolt carrier unless it is a les bear, as others tend to be cheapo and can experience hydrogen imbrittlement of the chrome unless they are finished properly.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:04:13 AM EDT
[#2]
when someone says chrome bolt carrier, are they referring to the outside surface of the carrier, or the area where the bolt rides?  My RRA bolt carrier is chrome where the bolt rides, and it makes cleaning so easy, and fast.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:11:19 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Dont get a chrome bolt carrier unless it is a les bear, as others tend to be cheapo and can experience hydrogen imbrittlement of the chrome unless they are finished properly.

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:10:28 AM EDT
[#4]
+1
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 11:07:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Chrome plated bolts are more susceptible to embrittlement and brittle fracture than chrome carriers.  DPMS chrome bolts immediately come to mind as having problems like this.  I don't recall ever hearing of problems with chrome carriers breaking, but I have heard of chrome peeling off of the carriers.  I have never seen any of these problems in person, just heard/read about these problems here.

I'll add that I have run DPMS chrome carriers with park'd bolts and haven't had a problem.  I also run the JP stainless without problems also.

The simplest and most reliable carrier is probably the plain Jane carrier that comes in every AR.  The "enhanced" RRA carrier is a slight improvement in my book, especially if run with a smooth topped hammer (not notched - neutered M16).  

A heavier, M16 bolt carrier may enhance operation due to its extra mass, but then you walk that grey line of legality that raises so much stink around here.

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 11:08:15 AM EDT
[#6]
CMT enhanced ones are nice too
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:28:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Does anyone sell M16 bolt carriers to the public right now?

New or takeouts?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:03:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

New or takeouts?

www.cdnninvestments.com
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:26:25 PM EDT
[#9]
For AR-15?  Without a doubt in my mind, the RRA carrier.  No problem with hammer/firing pin interference.  

As far as chrome vs park vs whatever, I could care less.  It just doesn't matter.  The carrier SHOULD be chromed inside the bore where the bolt rides, but the rest does not matter.

There are some TI plated carriers, but why?  Dunno.

You would NOT want a solid titanium bolt carrier.  You need the mass of the carrier as is for proper functioning.

The weight difference between the RRA and a true M16 bolt carrier is almost nothing.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:08:13 PM EDT
[#10]
okay, so what about the actual bolt itself? any thoughts?

think i'm going to go with the stainless carrier...
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:30:11 PM EDT
[#11]
A colt bolt is the best, IMHO.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:01:12 AM EDT
[#12]
IMHO......bushie
next?   rra
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:54:10 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The simplest and most reliable carrier is probably the plain Jane carrier that comes in every AR.  The "enhanced" RRA carrier is a slight improvement in my book, especially if run with a smooth topped hammer (not notched - neutered M16).  

Thats what I have.  RRA bolt carrier with a DPMS hammer.  Oh wait.  I haven't had that for over 8 months.  I used to have that, before I got the RRA 2 stage.  My next one will have a bobbed M16 hammer with a Williams set trigger.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:09:17 AM EDT
[#14]
LMT has a enhanced bolt, and what they did fixes problems in the extractor spring - it has 2 and a mickey mouse end to it - I think it's also cromed just run a search and you will see it - run a search under LMT enhanced bolt

L8r
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:11:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Here's one place that sells them - although slightly high - they average around $150

http://www.jtacsupply.com/LMT.html
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:29:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Right after I posted this, I saw that Del-Ton has them for $150
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:24:52 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
CMT enhanced ones are nice too

+1
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:41:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
For AR-15?  Without a doubt in my mind, the RRA carrier.  No problem with hammer/firing pin interference.  

As far as chrome vs park vs whatever, I could care less.  It just doesn't matter.  The carrier SHOULD be chromed inside the bore where the bolt rides, but the rest does not matter.

There are some TI plated carriers, but why?  Dunno.

You would NOT want a solid titanium bolt carrier.  You need the mass of the carrier as is for proper functioning.

The weight difference between the RRA and a true M16 bolt carrier is almost nothing.

huge +1 here. I sold all my colt carriers so I could replace them with the RRA enhanced ones.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:17:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Running a RRA Enhanced BCG with RRA LPK in my M4 right now.

It functions excellently. I was a bit worried when I got it because I kept seeing "chrome" carriers and never checked on if they were talking about outside or inside.

I got the standard RRA Enhanced carrier and it's parkerized on the outside and chrome lined on the inside.

I am putting a M16 carrier in my Target rifle to see if I can tell any difference whatsoever.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:44:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Carriers have so little stress they make little difference.  The biggest deal is to have chrome lining where it counts.  Thus far, the RRA "enhanced" carriers are the closest to mil spec you can get.  And cheap!  But pretty much any carrier will do..... I have seem some trouble with the lightweight JP ones.  No thanks.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:22:34 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

New or takeouts?

Are these legal to own without having a registered machine gun?

Can I put them in an AR15 and stay legal?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:35:19 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

New or takeouts?

Are these legal to own without having a registered machine gun?

Can I put them in an AR15 and stay legal?

CDNN has them in stock. SAW also sells them (for more than double what CDNN has them for) both are COLT.

yes you can use them in an AR and its legal. THe M16 BC by itself does not produce FA fire and does not cause slam fires.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top