Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/1/2004 2:44:38 PM EDT
I just learned that a bayonet will not fit right on a 16" preban with bayo lug... seems the ring goes past the flash hider and flops on the barrel.  It would appear there are three options for dealing with this:
a) an adaptor to lengthen the bayonet handle [must be specific to the bayonet]
b) an extension for the bayonet lug (not sure such a thing even exists, and I dont want to clamp on another bayo lug in front of the gasblock)  or best of all
c) a flash-hider that has a collar or sleeve extending back onto the barrel.
For C, it would look longer than it really is from the end of the barrel to the end of the FH as the threads would be recessed from the back of it.  This would add length toward the bayonet lug without adding overall length.  

Has anyone ever seen such a thing?  Any fabricators wanna try to make one?  Any manufacturers reps reading this that might consider such a thing?  How much "distance" is lacking between the back end of an A2 FH and the loop on an M7 or M9 bayonet on the lug?

hug.gif
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:53:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:57:19 PM EDT
[#2]
You could mount a short Samurai sword on it, that should be enough blade.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:04:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
that would also pretty much eliminate the usefulness of the bayonette as a STABBING weapon as the barrell will be 2/3 or more of the way down the top of the blade.

So, we're not talking a couple centimeters here.  Bummer.   Anybody know where to get a grip extension for an M7 bayo?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:34:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:32:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
that would also pretty much eliminate the usefulness of the bayonette as a STABBING weapon as the barrell will be 2/3 or more of the way down the top of the blade.

mike

Not if you use an extension for the bayo lug, you would just have to deal with stability issues then.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:51:31 PM EDT
[#6]
www.prebanarms.com/ makes a bayo for a 16"
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:02:24 PM EDT
[#7]
a) 223semiauto just showed you where those can be found.

b) The_Beer_Slayer briefly mentioned that.  It's a clamp-on bayonet lug that goes further down the barrel.  The original bayo lug is not used.

c) Bushmaster makes a slip-over flash suppressor that gives your 16" bbl the "CAR" look.  They're $10 or so.

Then there's my personal preference...

d) - Get a barrel with a mid-length gas system (Armalite, RRA) and be done with it.    

Not that it really matters... I've owned several AR15's since 1993, including one with the CAR flash suppressor and most recently, a mid-length, and not once have I used a bayonet to defend my home, slay zombies, rob a bank, or commit a driveby stabbing.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:47:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Not that it really matters... I've owned several AR15's since 1993, including one with the CAR flash suppressor and most recently, a mid-length, and not once have I used a bayonet to defend my home, slay zombies, rob a bank, or commit a driveby stabbing.hr

Yeah, I hear you, but consider this:  we've not really been able to think of nontraditional uses for a bayonet over the past decade.  While the US Military hasnt done a bayonet charge since the 40s or 50s, I saw a photo from Iraq where troopers with bayonets on their M4's were using them in a crowd-control mode - citizens seemed to respect the tips of the blades pointed at them just a couple feet away.  So, in a home defense mode, bayonets could be useful in increasing the threat of deadly force on an intruder... and could prevent a situation where an intruder is attempting to take your rifle away from you.  If nothing else, one could use a bayo as a convenient way to stow ones rifle while say fishing out at the stock pond (by sticking it in the ground).   In either case, the loss of say 1/3 of the blade length isnt as critical.

As for my flash-hider idea, I may have found something:
J&T Reverse Flash-Hider.  I have an email into them to ask.  
Also, is this the Bushmaster CAR-look hider you were referring to?  Bushmaster Tech Support says the diameter is too large for a bayonet to slip over it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 8:58:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Also, is this the Bushmaster CAR-look hider you were referring to? Bushmaster Tech Support says the diameter is too large for a bayonet to slip over it.

That's the one...  Sitting here with my AR resting against my leg, and looking at the Phantom suppressor that's on it, I can see where it might need to be larger diameter to fit over the barrel, but if that's the case, the J&T probably would too.

The first AR I had was the Bushmaster "CAR" with an 11.5" barrel and 5.5" flash suppressor.  The bayonet fit on that one, but it was a real CAR FS, not a slip-over.

BTW, I was joking about the bayonet thing...  I could see where, specifically in a riot/mob situation, that a group of angry looters MIGHT choose to loot elsewhere if you were standing in your front door with a pointy knife on a big bad military style weapon.  

Darn, now I gotta go out and buy a Mossberg 590 so I can use my bayonet on my chosen riot control weapon, a 12 gauge.

If looks don't matter to you though, then the least expensive/least hassle is to get one of THESE from CMMG Inc.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 9:42:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, I may go with the clamp-on doohicky from CMMG... just don't care that much for clamping something to mar my fresh new barrel... but it might free up the "real" lug for attaching a flashlight.  As for "standing in the door with a pointy knife on a big bad military style weapon"...  I suppose my 17" bayo on my 1917 Enfield would fit the bill... but its bolt-action and hardly as manueverable as a carbine! Thank you all for the 411!
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 10:12:56 AM EDT
[#11]
intimidation value only.  i so miss my mossburg 590 with bayo...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top