Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2011 12:08:57 PM EDT
So help a guy out.  Can one of the great unwashed, peon's who can't SBR or own an FA buy  - lets say- a 14.5 inch barrel and lawfully process just the barrel?
Ralph
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:29:11 PM EDT
So long as you permanently attach a flash hider that brings the total length from the boltface to the end of the muzzle out to 16"

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:05:03 PM EDT
never mind,no legal experience here.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:35:05 PM EDT
Quoted:
So long as you permanently attach a flash hider that brings the total length from the boltface to the end of the muzzle out to 16"

+1 ADCO and others provide this service relatively cheap. The main problem is finding a retro FH you like. I like the pics of the regular A1 and A2 FH's that people cut a spacer for out of another FH to go behind it rather than the extended FH's, but that's just me. Alternately you can buy a 16" barrel and have Adco cut it to 14.7" and pin a regular A1 FH. Either way looks great IMO.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:39:45 PM EDT
YES.  It is just a part until it is on a firearm.  Then you must attach an extension (FH or brake) to make barrel length 16". Note.  M16/AR15 barrels are measure from the breech face to end of barrel.  The barrel extension does not count to length.  I have seen a crush washer and lock washer between flash hider and barrel. on a 14.5" barrel.  It is easy to blind pin the flash hider on if you have a drill press.  Attach and line up, then drill a hole through the bottom than just engages the thread about 1/16".  Drive a roll pin in, and cut flush.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:19:46 PM EDT
Quoted:
YES.  It is just a part until it is on a firearm.  Then you must attach an extension (FH or brake) to make barrel length 16". Note.  M16/AR15 barrels are measure from the breech face to end of barrel.  The barrel extension does not count to length.  I have seen a crush washer and lock washer between flash hider and barrel. on a 14.5" barrel.  It is easy to blind pin the flash hider on if you have a drill press.  Attach and line up, then drill a hole through the bottom than just engages the thread about 1/16".  Drive a roll pin in, and cut flush, then weld the pin in.

fixed
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:48:18 PM EDT
Ask Olgunner and I how much fun we had trying to solder a PSC556 on an M4 barrel using MAPP gas. It's worth paying to have it done. Never did get that stupid solder to flow.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:46:06 PM EDT
Quoted:
Quoted:
YES.  It is just a part until it is on a firearm.  Then you must attach an extension (FH or brake) to make barrel length 16". Note.  M16/AR15 barrels are measure from the breech face to end of barrel.  The barrel extension does not count to length.  I have seen a crush washer and lock washer between flash hider and barrel. on a 14.5" barrel.  It is easy to blind pin the flash hider on if you have a drill press.  Attach and line up, then drill a hole through the bottom than just engages the thread about 1/16".  Drive a roll pin in, and cut flush, then weld the pin in.

fixed

Like he said, It has to be permanently affixed. That means welded or soldered with (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong) 1100 degree solder.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:16:09 PM EDT

Quoted:

YES.  It is just a part until it is on a firearm.  Then you must attach an extension (FH or brake) to make barrel length 16". Note.  M16/AR15 barrels are measure from the breech face to end of barrel.  The barrel extension does not count to length.  I have seen a crush washer and lock washer between flash hider and barrel. on a 14.5" barrel.  It is easy to blind pin the flash hider on if you have a drill press.  Attach and line up, then drill a hole through the bottom than just engages the thread about 1/16".  Drive a roll pin in, and cut flush.

From what I understand that's not true.   Just having the short barrel w/ an AR rifle it could be mounted to would be considered constructive possession by ATF.  Now that doesn't mean they are going to kick your door down for it, but under their interpretation of the law you are liable to be charged if you have the barrel.  The easy answer if you want a short barrel and don't want to go the SBR or MG route is to pickup a pistol or stripped lower.   With that the barrel would be legal.  your other option would be to have the short upper and not have anything you can put it on.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 9:01:37 PM EDT
Quoted:

Quoted:

From what I understand that's not true.   Just having the short barrel w/ an AR rifle it could be mounted to would be considered constructive possession by ATF.  Now that doesn't mean they are going to kick your door down for it, but under their interpretation of the law you are liable to be charged if you have the barrel.  The easy answer if you want a short barrel and don't want to go the SBR or MG route is to pickup a pistol or stripped lower.   With that the barrel would be legal.  your other option would be to have the short upper and not have anything you can put it on.

It depends on who you deal with.  I'm a moderator at another discussion board, and one of my fellow mods is with BATFE.  He told me that he and most field agents wouldn't have a problem with even a fully built upper with a short barrel, but that the BATFE lawyers one might face in court are the ones who would try to spin this into "intent".
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 11:42:24 PM EDT
JTB0311 which forum do you work on? Didn't know that.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:04:02 AM EDT
Thanks for the replies guys.  I should have been more clear as I know the finished barrel length has to be greater than 16".  What I wanted to know is if I could order a barrel, receive it and then send it out to have the FH mounted.  I don't have any unmounted upper receivers to mount it to yet, but I do have several complete ARs.
Thanks again,
Ralph
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:46:55 AM EDT
Thats really a personal decision. I think from what I have encountered it's slightly risky, but only if you give them reason to search your home. As someone else said, the inspectors probably won't care, but if they are trying to make a case against you, you would likely hear about your constructive possession of a short barrel and an AR rifle.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 5:37:02 AM EDT
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies guys.  I should have been more clear as I know the finished barrel length has to be greater than 16".  What I wanted to know is if I could order a barrel, receive it and then send it out to have the FH mounted.  I don't have any unmounted upper receivers to mount it to yet, but I do have several complete ARs.
Thanks again,
Ralph

My experience with this, the vendor (J&T) wanted me to mail them a handwritten statement that I was going to have the pin and weld work done locally. It didn't go through because after all of that, they didn't have the barrel.

If you've got a product and vendor in mind, call them up and see what they want you to do. If you're going to send it out for the work anyway, and are concerned with having the barrel in your possession for a short period, maybe you could have your vendor send it directly to the person who is going to do the modification.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:11:18 AM EDT
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

It depends on who you deal with.  I'm a moderator at another discussion board, and one of my fellow mods is with BATFE.  He told me that he and most field agents wouldn't have a problem with even a fully built upper with a short barrel, but that the BATFE lawyers one might face in court are the ones who would try to spin this into "intent".

I agree mostly.  My problem is they have much deeper pockets than I do, and losing a case like that would be a felony.  I prefer to err on the side of caution.  Would not prosecute doesn't mean could not.  The easy answer IMO is to buy a stripped lower or pistol lower.  Then there is absolutely zero risk since you have a legal use for it. (Assuming a AR pistol is legal where it's done.)
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:47:38 AM EDT
Wouldn't possesion of short barrels and receivers be illegal for parts dealers and vendors to posses together  too ?

or should I say, Imply constructive intent.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:23:26 PM EDT
ADC...If it were me, I wouldn't posses the barrel in <16" condition for very long.

If you wanted a 14.5" barrel, your best bet would be to go ahead and buy one, and either have it shipped directly to ADCO or ship it to ADCO *ASAP* for the permanent attachment of an extended flash hider.

Possessing the barrel and any other combination of parts (Including assembled rifles or uppers that you could swap barrels on) that could allow you to build an SBR is considered "constructive intent" by the letter of the law, and could potentially get you in lots of trouble...

The good news is that when it comes back from ADCO with the extended flash-hider attached, it's no-longer considered a "short"  barrel and is legally the same as any other 16" barrel.  Then you can do whatever you want with it without any legal worries.
An error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the system administrator.

If you are the system administrator please click here to find out more about this error.