Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2003 1:07:32 AM EDT
I just got a 1/8 twist Stainless Steel RRA 16in barrell.

What is the best way to break it in?  I heard just dumping a 100 rnds throught it would work, but I think that is for chrome lined bbls.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 3:25:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Good barrels need no break in.  "Just shoot the mofo."

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 3:50:24 AM EDT
[#2]
For a chrome lined barrel I think you're safe just shooting it without a "break in" so to speak.  If the barrel is not chrome lined, I'd follow the manufacturer's recommended procedure.  

Anything non-chrome lined (like my bolt action hunting rifles) I always have followed a procedure of shooting 1-3 rounds then clean the barrel.  I do this for the first 10 rounds.  Then I shoot groups of five rounds followed by a cleaning for the next 20 rounds.  I also don't let the barrel get real hot during this period.

Again, that's what I've done for non-chrome lined bolt guns.  Both my ARs are chrome lined, so I just shot 100+ rounds first range visit.

I'm sure someone will come along and describe a better way to break in an AR without a chrome barrel.  
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 3:51:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Compass Lake Engineering has these instructions on their site about SS barrel break-in.

[url]http://www.compasslake.com/instructions.htm[/url]

These are the instructions given by Wes at MSTN. They sell some great SPR barrels.

"HERE'S THE BREAK-IN ROUTINE GOT IT FROM PAUL. I TRASH A LOT OF PATCHES & BORE BRUSHES THIS WAY.

1 SHOT & CLEAN, FIVE TIMES.

2 SHOTS & CLEAN, FIVE TIMES

5 SHOTS & CLEAN, FIVE TIMES

SETTLE DOWN AND START SHOOTING FIVE SHOT GROUPS, CLEANING AFTER EACH. KEEP GOING UNTIL AT LEAST TWO FIVE SHOT GROUPS SEQUENTIALLY UNDER MOA. THEN I CALL IT GOOD TO GO. BUT I STILL ALWAYS CLEAN EVERY 20 ROUNDS.

WHEN I SAY "CLEAN", I MEAN CLEAN LIKE IT SAYS ON THE SHOOTER'S CHOICE BOTTLE:

1. 2 WET PATCHES
2. 10 STROKES WITH A [NEW] WET BORE BRUSH
3. 3 WET PATCHES
4. DRY PATCHES UNTIL THEY COME OUT CLEAN

I DO LOVE THESE SPR BARRELS BY COMPASS LAKE! THEY ALL HAVE SHOT WELL UNDER MOA FOR US.

WES GRANT
MSTN.BIZ
"

Hope this helps.
Ed
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 7:09:17 AM EDT
[#4]
thanks for the help gang.  now that it has stopped raining buckets, I can go shoot!

I know I should have just gone out in the rain...you guys are HARDCORE!!!!!

thanks
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 7:14:47 AM EDT
[#5]
When it's rainy and cold, the range is less crowded.  :)
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 3:26:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Anyone ever use David Tubb's Final Finish? Its a kit that you reload the bullets and shoot them out your barrel. The bullets have this grit on them that smoothes out the inside of your barrel and removes any burs you may have and make it so it does not foul up as bad and improves accuracy and velocity.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top