Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/11/2007 9:53:16 AM EST
I'm having a hard time with this thing. I need to remove it to install one provided by YHM. Is this something that can usually be removed by a little muscle? I have a wrench for it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:21:10 AM EST
Barrel nuts are torqued on to a 35# to 80# spec.

What you need is one of the clamshell receiver holders and clamp it in a solidly mounted vice. Then it should pop loose without too much trouble.

When installing the new barrel nut torque it to 35#. Loosen it, retorque. Do once more, only no need to loosen it this time. Remove the torque wrench, install a breaker bar and continue tightening until the gas tube will slide in. Use a good wheel bearing grease on the threads.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:55:42 AM EST

Originally Posted By Bumblebee_Bob:

What you need is one of the clamshell receiver holders and clamp it in a solidly mounted vice. Then it should pop loose without too much trouble.

When installing the new barrel nut torque it to 35#. Loosen it, retorque. Do once more, only no need to loosen it this time. Remove the torque wrench, install a breaker bar and continue tightening until the gas tube will slide in. Use a good wheel bearing grease on the threads.

Excellent advice, very concise and correct... (like BB_B needs approval from someone like me )

- AG
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:09:15 AM EST
I had a factory installed barrel nut on a Bushmaster upper that was torqued to much more than 85 ft lbs. I had to give the nut wrench a wack with a hammer while applying pressure on the breaker bar to break it loose. Luckily the threads on the receiver weren't buggered up and the new barrel went on ok.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:17:27 AM EST

Originally Posted By Aggie_Gunner:

Originally Posted By Bumblebee_Bob:

Excellent advice, very concise and correct... (like BB_B needs approval from someone like me )

- AG

Hey! Don't listen to me.

Yesterday I installed a barrel on a receiver and as I was in somewhat of a hurry, and a bit tired, I tried to do too many things at once. So with a handful of tools I loosened the vise. The barreled receiver did a flip with a half twist and landed on the unprotected threads. Upon closer examination there's now a nick in the brand new crown (it's a postban barrel that had no threads).

So this morning I took the barrel back off and tomorrow it'll go back to the 'smith for a new crown. Again.

So learn from my mistake. Use TWO hands to remove the barreled receiver from the vise.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:26:50 PM EST
Thanks guys, I finally got that bugger off.
Top Top