Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Posted: 1/1/2007 3:03:02 PM EDT
What number of rounds would you consider changing out a barrel?
I guess i would need to check head space & errosion, where do you get the guauges?
Thanks in advance, Al...
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 3:24:58 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 3:31:02 PM EDT
If you have to ask, you haven't done enough shooting to wear it out.

You're more likely to ruin one by excessive cleaning than by excessive shooting.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 3:43:38 PM EDT
It is a used Colt sp1 carbine that I had for at least 15yrs and it was old when I bought it. I can say I put at least 10 thousand thru it.
I guess that would be considered shooting it more than cleaning it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 5:21:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By bigbore:
depends on how you shoot. The average AR15 owner  will never need to replace a barrel due  to wear.

I've seen this statement, but there must be a point, even at semi-auto fire, that the barrel usually exhibits the signs that point for replacement. I've seen some people say 5K, some 9.6K, still others saying 20K, and then still more who say that the amount is higher.

I'd be interested in someone with a chrome-lined barrel with semi-auto only giving some kind of statement at the point they replaced the barrel and why.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 5:46:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/1/2007 6:00:17 PM EDT by AtlantaFireman]

Originally Posted By RAMYA:
What number of rounds would you consider changing out a barrel?
I guess i would need to check head space & erosion, where do you get the gauges?
Thanks in advance, Al...

Check Brownells for gages.  A borescope helps too; a high quality one will cost several hundred dollars.

In GENERAL:

For match purposes:
Stainless: 2000 rounds
Chrome moly: 3000 rounds

Chrome lined: upwards of 20,000 rounds, without abuse, and without the chrome flaking.

It really does not matter for just shooting or plinking, full or semi.  It does matter for precision work.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 5:55:54 PM EDT
Top Top