Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 8/8/2003 7:25:41 PM EDT
How would anyone recommend breaking in a new barrel? Thanks
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 8:05:00 PM EDT
The usual way is to post it on their website. What are you shooting? Pete
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 11:34:33 PM EDT
It would help to know what type of barrel it is. Chromemoy, chrome lined, stainless?
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 7:09:45 PM EDT
I'm shooting a chromoly barrel. It's a wilson with a 1 in 9 twist. It's the barrel that comes from the J&T 20" A2 kit.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 7:34:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/9/2003 7:35:31 PM EDT by headpulper]
Originally Posted By lazydog: I'm shooting a chromoly barrel. It's a wilson with a 1 in 9 twist. It's the barrel that comes from the J&T 20" A2 kit.
View Quote
Just get a set of these[url] http://www.zediker.com/tubb/finalfinish.html [/url], load em up (or get a friend w/reloading equipment to do it), and follow the easy directions. When you're done that barrel will shoot great and clean up afterwards is a breeze.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 8:22:18 AM EDT
Any additional suggestions?
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 8:20:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2003 8:21:54 AM EDT by Fenian]
For their match barrels, Armalite recommends this: "February 5, 2003 TECHNICAL NOTE 28, Breaking in Match Barrels PURPOSE: To instruct purchasers of ArmaLite® match rifles of proper break in procedures. BACKGROUND: All new rifle barrels suffer from internal machine marks that can scratch passing bullets. Bullet jacket metal can foul the pores of the new barrel. Leading competitive shooters believe that breaking their barrels in properly can lead to better accuracy and longer life. ArmaLite® has consulted with several barrel manufacturers. All with whom we have spoken advise us that breaking a barrel in with an abrasive of any sort reduces the accurate life of a barrel. This matches ArmaLite’s own observations: normal firing serves as a satisfactory break-in process if the barrel is properly cleaned during the process. We therefore no longer recommend the use of any abrasive for breaking in a barrel. BREAK IN: ArmaLite® Match Rifle barrels are produced from a custom, target grade blank. For optimum accuracy and improved life expectancy, it MUST be properly broken in. We recommend the following procedure: Remove any existing copper fouling from the barrel by using a high-quality copper-removing solvent like Hoppe’s No. 9. Fire 11 single shots, each followed by about 20 strokes of a tight fitting patch bearing bore cleaner. Use a Parker Hale or other wrap-around style jag rather than a slotted jag. From 12 to 30 shots, clean after each 3 shots. From 31 to 50 shots, clean after each 5 shots. Clean thoroughly with a high quality bore cleaner every 10 shots until 100 shots. This time-consuming process will allow the barrel to smooth out without an accumulation of copper fouling in the pores of the steel. The barrel should thereafter be cleaned every 20 rounds for best match accuracy. Accuracy continues to improve for several hundred rounds. ArmaLite® recommends the use of Black Hills moly coated .308 Win Match ammunition for both break-in and competition. We have believe that Black Hills moly coated ammunition reduces the break in period by half and lengthens the period between cleaning in matches. ArmaLite® stocks Black Hills brand ammunition." I've got a new DPMS .308...they suggest cleaning every shot 'til 25, then every 5 'til 100. Most break in procedures are a mix of this kind of stuff. What you're really trying to do, according to some people, is stop copper build up...although most manufacturers don't mention specifically using a copper cleaner. And, I've read at least one major competitition barrel maker saying it's all bs, just "grip it and rip it". So, do whatever makes you feel comfortable...there are certainly no hard and fast rules.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 4:41:02 PM EDT
may want to check this out... http://www.impactguns.com/store/ar15_barrel_break_in.html I don't even have my first AR yet but seems pretty close to what armalite recommends.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 8:49:39 AM EDT
Originally Posted By lazydog: I'm shooting a chromoly barrel. It's a wilson with a 1 in 9 twist. It's the barrel that comes from the J&T 20" A2 kit.
View Quote
From the folks on the AR15 board, if it's chrome, just shoot the sh1t out of it for the first 500 rounds clean as normal and then shoot the sh1t out of it and enjoy. If it's a stainless barrel, that's a whole different story. I wish I had that type of problem. [:D] Enjoy.
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 10:47:48 PM EDT
Originally Posted By sterling18: From the folks on the AR15 board, if it's chrome, ...
View Quote
Chromoly does not necessarily mean "chrome lined." If it was chrome lined, then your advice would be correct.
Top Top