Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/24/2017 4:44:23 PM
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 10/2/2004 10:43:34 AM EST
Thinking about getting a model1sales kit for a 6.8 spc. The barrel is just chrome moly. Will it last long with a 6.8 spc? When are they going to start selling 6.8 ammo. Should I get a 16'' or standard 20'' barreled rifle? Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:49:39 AM EST
I dont see anything wrong with the chrome-oly, it should be fine. I'm in the middle of building a Mk12 Mod1 in 6.8SPC and am waiting on my barrel. Who knows when factory loaded ammo will be available and I would suggest only getting one now if you reload. The components are out there to reload but if your waiting for factory stuff you may be waiting a while until you get rounds down range. I've heard that ammo should be available soon BUT, they said that awhile ago also.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:55:23 AM EST
and mags are quite pricey as well.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:11:54 PM EST
Im going to a big gunshow in Tulsa OKlahoma. Is there a good chance that there will be some 6.8 ammo there?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:24:55 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:27:39 PM EST
How fast do you shoot? It should be less damaging than 5.56 though, thats good news.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:54:25 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:07:12 PM EST
youll be at the Tulsa gun show? How much for the 6.8?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:13:35 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:14:32 PM EST
20 rounds per box. what grain?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:16:40 PM EST
Smithy,

Please review the 6.8 SPC FAQ & Load Data thread tacked in this forum. It will answer most of your questions.

All the factory ammo is 115gr right now, if you can get any.

-z
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:16:44 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:24:47 PM EST
thanks guys. Just cant wait to shoot that stuff.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:53:44 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:13:28 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:56:35 AM EST
I recently saw that American Ammunition issued a press release on their website that they will be loading 6.8 SPC for Barrett (who is reportedly paying half down which would be approximately $1.6 million in cash). I tried to go to that Web page again but it had disappeared! So I called American, and the guy said they're not saying anything about the specifications of the round; if I want more information, I should call Barrett directly. So I did.

The Barrett receptionist transferred me to Mike Kelton in customer relations and a weapon technician. He said (with a deep voice and a thick Tennessee drawl) that they've currently got a Remington employee on-site who is developing loads for them. Kelton says their first offering will be a 115gr OTM (unspecified bullet brand) at 2650 from a 16" bbl. He says, "It's laser-beam accurate. The Remington gentleman is shooting 30 rounds in one hole at 100 yards." He also said they were testing it in both hot (up to 140°) and cold environments (basically a freezer).

He also stated that the reason Remington isn't producing the ammo themselves is because they've been tapped by the Defense Dept and so their resources are being channeled to produce ammo for the war effort.

Just reporting what I was told. Try it yourself and see what you learn. We'll revisit a few of these statements in time to see how well they square with the truth. . . .

John

------------------------
6.5 Grendel: AR10 Soul in an AR15 Body
www.65grendel.com
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:07:37 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:11:59 AM EST

Originally Posted By Grendelizor:

He also stated that the reason Remington isn't producing the ammo themselves is because they've been tapped by the Defense Dept and so their resources are being channeled to produce ammo for the war effort.

Thats interesting- Is he saying that Remington is tapped by the DoD to provide 6.8mm to the Govt. or that they're too busy producing existing calibers for the Govt.to start making 6.8mm?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:51:40 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/4/2004 11:03:43 AM EST by Grendelizor]
I didn't ask him to clarify, but my impression is that he meant existing calibers. Of course, there are problems with that statement that could use some independent verification. Has Remington themselves announced they currently have big defense contracts? Wouldn't their stockholders be thrilled to know of such?

John

P.S. It'd be interesting if someone else here called Barrett to get the scoop: 615-896-2938

-------------------
www.65grendel.com
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 2:28:36 PM EST
This is probably a stupid question, but what the hell!! Would anyone be willing to part with 100 rounds or so of 6.8SPC? My son is just about through building his upper and neither of us want to wait until mid November (earliest estimated availability for factory ammo) to shoot it. Factory ammo or good reloads, it doesn't matter. He just wants to break in the barrel and here it go BANG!!

TIA for any help.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:40:56 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/4/2004 3:54:27 PM EST by 47Under]

I didn't ask him to clarify, but my impression is that he meant existing calibers. Of course, there are problems with that statement that could use some independent verification. Has Remington themselves announced they currently have big defense contracts? Wouldn't their stockholders be thrilled to know of such?

John

P.S. It'd be interesting if someone else here called Barrett to get the scoop: 615-896-2938

-------------------
www.65grendel.com

Not on quite on subject but I emailed remington about a month back and asked when 6.8 would be availible to the public and why it was taking so long, the response in writing was they were filling Military and LEO orders and that the Ammo would be out in 2005 .

You can go on thier web page and send your question to them, it took about 48 hours for them to reply.

Edit to add Remingtons responce

Customer ( 09/01/2004 11:19 AM
When will the 6.8 SPC ammo be availible to the public ? and why has it been delayed

Response (Jessica) 09/02/2004 01:19 PM
Thank you for your inquiry. We will not be releasing any of this ammunition for sale until the government contract has been satisfied. The ammunition will be available in 2005.

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:52:10 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:18:34 AM EST
Troy wrote: " I have that from several take-it-to-the-bank sources."

Well, I guess that's progress. Given that this is a done deal, what are the specifications of this cartridge that is being produced in quantity? What exact bullet and powder are being used, and what are the velocity figures for a given length of barrel?

John

--------------------------
www.65grendel.com
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:25:16 AM EST

Well, I guess that's progress. Given that this is a done deal, what are the specifications of this cartridge that is being produced in quantity? What exact bullet and powder are being used, and what are the velocity figures for a given length of barrel?

Well, you can bet it's a proprietary powder...

-z
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:50:44 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/5/2004 7:51:10 AM EST by Grendelizor]
Well, Zak, aren't you very interested in knowing? Primex powders apparently didn't work out. Accurate's going to give it a shot for Barrett, but Barrett reportedly has a Remington guy there experimenting with powders and loads. Surely the Remington guy at Barrett can simply get the powder from his own company and tell Barrett the powder and they're off to the races! Wouldn't 'cha think?

John

-----------------
www.65grendel.com
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:06:42 AM EST

Well, Zak, aren't you very interested in knowing? Primex powders apparently didn't work out. Accurate's going to give it a shot for Barrett, but Barrett reportedly has a Remington guy there experimenting with powders and loads. Surely the Remington guy at Barrett can simply get the powder from his own company and tell Barrett the powder and they're off to the races! Wouldn't 'cha think?

Of course I'm interested in knowing the ballistics they're getting.

However, it's my understanding that commercial loaders do not use off the shelf powders; they use special blends all the time.

My point is that knowing the name of the powder blend they're using is useless until (unless?) that powder is sold commercially, or available to anybody else.

-z
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:16:27 AM EST
Zak wrote: "However, it's my understanding that commercial loaders do not use off the shelf powders; they use special blends all the time."

Among the 300 or so powders that Primex offers, Remington couldn't find one that gave them the promised velocities. I can't imagine that Accurate has anything significantly advanced that Primex doesn't. If Remington does create a special blend that gets the promised velocities, then I guess they have truly advanced the state-of-the-art of propellant technology and we can all hope to benefit from their breakthroughs.

John

--------------------
www.65grendel.com
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:43:46 AM EST

Zak wrote: "However, it's my understanding that commercial loaders do not use off the shelf powders; they use special blends all the time."

Among the 300 or so powders that Primex offers, Remington couldn't find one that gave them the promised velocities. I can't imagine that Accurate has anything significantly advanced that Primex doesn't. If Remington does create a special blend that gets the promised velocities, then I guess they have truly advanced the state-of-the-art of propellant technology and we can all hope to benefit from their breakthroughs.

Even if what we have now is all we'll get, 2630-2650fps with a 110-115gr from an 18" barrel is not that bad. That's the kind of velocity youget from a 24" 308 barrel shooting 168's, and that's acceptible.

I have talked to someone using powders under a NDA who says he can load them to 2800+fps safely in a 18" barrel.

If a certain powder is developed after some R&D for the characteristics of 6.8SPC, that does not mean it's a "magical" powder or that it could be dropped in to a caliber with different characteristics and give the same results.

-z
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 10:01:42 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/5/2004 10:09:09 AM EST by Grendelizor]
Zak wrote: "Even if what we have now is all we'll get. . . and that's acceptable."

Fair enough. And maybe the Barrett guy will yet get his 2650 from a 16". If it does what it does, it does what it does. I can handle the truth about actual performance specifications, and more power to 'em!

The only times, as you know, that I get a little bent are when 6.8 SPC promoters act like Microsoft in spreading FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt) in order to squelch competition with VAPORWARE. In this case, promising unrealistic performance claims for the 6.8 SPC in order to advance it beyond the competition has always been objectionable to me.

John

------------------
www.65grendel.com
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 10:29:12 AM EST

The only times, as you know, that I get a little bent are when 6.8 SPC promoters act like Microsoft in spreading FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt) in order to squelch competition with VAPORWARE. In this case, promising unrealistic performance claims for the 6.8 SPC in order to advance it beyond the competition has always been objectionable to me.

I'm totally with you here. We know what's advertised, we have some hint what might be possible by people testing the stuff we can't get yet, and we know our first-hand results.

-z
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 11:27:57 AM EST
Zak-
What kind of accuracy have you been getting with the 6.8? Have you done any shooting at extended ranges, meaning 500+ yards and how was the performance there? Also, reading your load data, it says that RL10X is what you have been getting the best accuracy with, what is your accuracy load and what kind of groups were you getting?
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 11:39:55 AM EST

Originally Posted By Lawman734:
What kind of accuracy have you been getting with the 6.8? Have you done any shooting at extended ranges, meaning 500+ yards and how was the performance there? Also, reading your load data, it says that RL10X is what you have been getting the best accuracy with, what is your accuracy load and what kind of groups were you getting?

I haven't done proper "bench" shooting with the 6.8 yet. My main concern has been finding the right powder, the right pressure, with reasonably accuracy (ie, ruling out powders that don't group at all).

The rifle wears a TA11 ACOG which isn't a precision scope. Last weekend I fired 15 rounds loaded on a Dillon 650 into a quarter-sized hole at 55 yards. I'll need to buy another precision scope (NXS) to do any better. But based on that data, I fully expect to be able to ring 10" steel to 400 yards, which is about the limit of the ACOG on targets that small.

-z
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 11:43:49 AM EST
Also, a while back Wes Grant (MSTN) posted a 5-shot 0.75MOA group shooting the production 115gr OTM.

-z
Top Top