Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2009 9:19:10 PM EDT
After attending the gun show last week I've become interested in building a .308 gun. Help me decide. I built an AR on an Eagle Arms lower so I'm kinda partial to the Armalite. But I hear talk of differing mags between the two. Any input?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:45:42 AM EDT
[#1]
This is the golden age of 308 ARs, and you have at least 4 magazines to choose from:

Armalite AR-10 (previously based on M1A)
KAC/DPMS/POF/Fulton/LWRC/LaRue/JP/Jet/Tubb/Magpul/SI defense
G3
FAL used by RRA

But things get confusing after that, like if you get a G3 lower, then you can use a DPMS upper.   Or an Armalite uppper.    If you wanted to, you could do an Armalite upper on DPMS mag lower.   There are so many choices, people are getting it wrong and mixing incompatible pieces.

The Armalite magazines are a one manufacturer deal.    KAC/DPMS style mags are made by at least 6 manufacturers, with prices from $15 to $115.    

Whats better is a Ford / Chevy thing in my book....
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:56:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
This is the golden age of 308 ARs, and you have at least 4 magazines to choose from:

Armalite AR-10 (previously based on M1A)
KAC/DPMS/POF/Fulton/LWRC/LaRue/JP/Jet/Tubb/Magpul/SI defense
G3
FAL used by RRA

But things get confusing after that, like if you get a G3 lower, then you can use a DPMS upper.   Or an Armalite uppper.  Are you sure about this I just looked at the web site it didn't say it would work with an Armalite upper.    If you wanted to, you could do an Armalite upper on DPMS mag lower. from what I read it is DPMS uppers not Armalite uppers, if I am wrong I'm pretty sure some one will corect me.      There are so many choices, people are getting it wrong and mixing incompatible pieces.   there you go, lots of confusion.

The Armalite magazines are a one manufacturer deal.    KAC/DPMS style mags are made by at least 6 manufacturers, with prices from $15 to $115.    

Whats better is a Ford / Chevy thing in my book....

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:53:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Mixing DPMS and Armalite looks like total crap.  Just don't do it.  As far as the G3 mags are concerned, the CMMG lowers which accept them are designed to work with LR-308 uppers.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top