BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/30/2003 3:08:50 PM EDT
?
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 4:14:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Does anyone have a picture of the URX? I have never been able to find one.

IPSC_GUY sends
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 8:53:53 PM EDT
[#2]
OK, I'm out of the loop.
What is a URX?
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 9:36:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Knight's answer for an uninterrupted to rail and ability to free float the barrel.  Basically Knight's competition to the SIR-M models, except it does not raise the height of the rail.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 11:29:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Possibly the best modular rail handguard system ever made.  I am holding my breath waiting for its arrival.  

LMT upper, URX mid length, a nice cold hammer forged barrel, LMT SOPMOD2 bolt, Gas buster, KAC flash hider, ACOG TA31a, a KAC pop up front and rear sight.  I think I will be set.  amn I just don't make enough money.....
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 11:34:09 PM EDT
[#5]
How can the URX emulate the SIR without raising the rail height?  Also, how does it not infringe on the ARMS patents?
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 12:00:18 AM EDT
[#6]
[img]http://www.thermaldynamics.com/pictures/guns/urx.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 7:05:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I too wish KAC would bring out the URX. (had my fingers crossed for a long long time.)

It doesn't infringe on ARMS patents because it simply has no similarity to the SIR (it doesn't attatch to the upper rail just the threaded area).

For new people (it is like a FF RAS with uninterrupted top rail and removeable lower handguard. It is claimed to be more stirdy then the FF RAS and KAC claims it will initially be offered only as a KMC? factory option (it is suposed to be complicated to install).

They said 6 months to release and that seemed to be 6 months ago but I guess I wasn't counting anyway sooner now than it was when we first heard about it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 1:39:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Why have we been waiting so long for something that appears to be this simple?  Is this the normal way KAC introduces products? :(
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 2:08:36 PM EDT
[#9]
The URX was developed for the SOPMOD Block II request and not for general sales. .From what I understand changes were made to the original URX design shown at SHOT 2003 to make it more competitive for SOPMOD

The civilian market helps make it more economically feasible for manufacturers to compete for the SOPMOD contracts but I doubt that very many of them would be pushing the envelope like KAC, ARMS and others just to meet the civilian demand.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 4:33:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm waiting about as breathlessly as SMGLee is...With it's removeable lower rail I'll be able to attach an M203 whereas I'm presently unable to with the current FF RAS MRE I'm running.

By the way SMGLee, thanks again for the e mail correspondence back and forth on my little M4 problem. I think  I've about got it solved in that I know which direction to go.

Link Posted: 7/31/2003 5:26:29 PM EDT
[#11]
The URX was actually originated for something else then than SOPMODII...

The URXII... IIRC coldblue said that the URX was 6+ months away from civilian sale, with no war...

And an addition 6-12 months away in the event of war...

My perfect upper:

16" Midlength 1:7 bbl
KAC Flip Up Front Sight Gas Block w/ Bayonet Lug
KAC Enhanced Muzzle Comp
KAC Enhanced Bolt Group E3
KAC Midlength URXII
KAC Select Fire Trigger
ARMS#40 BUIS
ARMS #19S
Trijicon TA31
PRI GAS BUSTER

Barrel choice would be Diemaco or Krieger (work/play)

Unless KAC starts making barrels...

Link Posted: 7/31/2003 6:59:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't think anyother firearm receives this amount of interest and research. I've been trying to follow up with all the stuff you folks are using and I still don't know xxxx!
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 7:23:05 PM EDT
[#13]
That's because none of the original discussion on the URX (post SHOT SHOW) info by guys like New AR GUY and KevinB and others appears to have never been put on a permanent website.

The original info must have dropped off the boards.

Link Posted: 7/31/2003 9:00:33 PM EDT
[#14]
What I would love to see is the new LMT URX clone. I heard it's more like a really long upper receiver/FF handguard combo. I've even heard that it has the ability to quick-change barrels.

From my understanding from the Crane guys, this combo is what LMT offered to the MD/NS (Mini Day/Night Sight) Solicitation Board.

Has anyone else seen pictures of the set-up yet?

ls
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 10:03:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

My perfect upper:

16" Midlength 1:7 bbl
KAC Flip Up Front Sight Gas Block w/ Bayonet Lug
KAC Enhanced Muzzle Comp
KAC Enhanced Bolt Group E3
KAC Midlength URXII
KAC Select Fire Trigger
ARMS#40 BUIS
ARMS #19S
Trijicon TA31
PRI GAS BUSTER

Barrel choice would be Diemaco or Krieger (work/play)

Unless KAC starts making barrels...
View Quote

Quoted:
Possibly the best modular rail handguard system ever made.  I am holding my breath waiting for its arrival.  

LMT upper, URX mid length, a nice cold hammer forged barrel, LMT SOPMOD2 bolt, Gas buster, KAC flash hider, ACOG TA31a, a KAC pop up front and rear sight.  I think I will be set.  amn I just don't make enough money.....
View Quote

Kevin did you get my memo??  Are we on the same page??  [:)]
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 10:27:29 PM EDT
[#16]
SMG: Yeah!

I think the URX/URXII will be available before long...

From my understanding the LMT is simialr to the ARMS monolithic upper that was proposed several years ago?

Not 100% Sure as I have not seen it but different reports...
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 3:52:14 AM EDT
[#17]
I've got a gun just sitting here that Im not doing a thing with in anticipation for a URX/II. But the gun I would build sounds a lot like SMG's and Kevins... Maybe I'll use some CavArms pink furniture to be different?
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 5:23:39 AM EDT
[#18]
What is the difference between the URX and URX II and will both be available to the civilian market?
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 8:57:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Knightone,

From my info the URX and URXII are virtually identical, just a redesigned bbl nut in the II to also accept the M203.

I think the II will be standard, as it seems follish IMHO to make two different versions when one is concentrating on meeting a certain objective.

I fulyl intend to have a

5.56mm
16 Midlength
18(ish) Rifle length
20" SAM typ

16 midlength
18"

16"
20"

Version of URX equipt rifles.

The best part - the lower will accept the M203 in all versions - and any other common accessories.

I see it as a one stop shopping rail system.

Link Posted: 8/1/2003 9:56:00 AM EDT
[#20]
I see a 14.5, 16 mid, and a 18 in my future, now that you mentioned, a 18 in 6.8 would be the hot set up.  thanks.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 10:52:08 AM EDT
[#21]
I hate waiting !!!!!
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 10:53:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Well I'm totally broke after my SPR clone...

I was hoping to save for a 10.5" for my next project.  But a 6.8 16" midlength sounds mighty interesting.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 10:59:24 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm waiting on a 6.8 mid. Any idea of 6.8 ammo cost?
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 6:15:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What I would love to see is the new LMT URX clone. I heard it's more like a really long upper receiver/FF handguard combo. I've even heard that it has the ability to quick-change barrels.

From my understanding from the Crane guys, this combo is what LMT offered to the MD/NS (Mini Day/Night Sight) Solicitation Board.

Has anyone else seen pictures of the set-up yet?

ls
View Quote

LordStoner,

Coldblue mentioned in another thread that ARMS and Daniel Defense also submitted SOPMOD II Rails.   Have you got any info on those systems from your Crane sources?
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 10:03:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Is it definate that the URX II will be available in a mid-length variant? Does anyone know anything definate about the URX II?

Like KevinB, Chen Lee and the others that have mentioned it, I'd like a 16" (1/7), mid-length upper. I'd settle for a true "Armalite/RRA mid-length" FF RAS. But I really like the URX.

Thanks

JFP  
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 1:30:24 PM EDT
[#26]
I'll take one of each as well......please!

Does anyone have further info on the URX concerning it's other benefits?  Beside the fully integrated upper rail and M203 compatibility.  That alone makes it worth the product IMO.  I'd love to know how exactly it mounts to the weapon aside from the obvious.  All I have heard is that it's solid as a rock!
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 9:07:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Coldblue mentioned in another thread that ARMS and Daniel Defense also submitted SOPMOD II Rails.   Have you got any info on those systems from your Crane sources?
View Quote

I really didn't hear too much about what the Daniel, ARMS or Knight's had to offer other then it was the same stuff seen at the SHOT Show. I only heard about the stuff they were really excited about. They seemed [i]really[/i] excited about the LMT package. Keep your eye on LMT. I think they may be the next big boy on the block for High Speed toys.

LS
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 10:12:27 PM EDT
[#28]
I've picked up that tone about LMT here and there on these boards.  I can say their Bolt carrier and bolt design is amazing.  I haven't been pounding it but it works great and the bolt could probably run fine with no lube.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 7:35:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Yes, That's going to be my next purchase from MSTN. Must have the LMT SOPMOD Bolt and Carrier Combo. It seems to be an improvement over the Knight's Retrofit.

ls
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 10:38:41 AM EDT
[#30]
I think another aspect of LMT is that many of us no nothing much about them yet everything I have seen or used thats made by them has been quite innovative and quite impressive.  Along with you and many others I think their the next best thing........and a well kept secret!  From everything I have of theirs, and thats not much, I would be confident in whatever they produce.  Sight unseen!

Apologies for the ruuuuun on sentence structure[:D]
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 3:59:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Could their next cool product be a monolithic upper/forend with interchangable 5.56 6.8mm barrels???
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 6:56:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Could their next cool product be a monolithic upper/forend with interchangable 5.56 6.8mm barrels???
View Quote

Yes..

Where's Jack? what does he think?

ls
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 7:16:10 PM EDT
[#33]
That is an objective within the JORD SOF Combat Rifle (SCAR) IIRC, so it seems logical that someone with deep enough pockerts will attempt this.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 7:49:32 PM EDT
[#34]
If LMT or anyone else does come out with a monolithic upper, ya know what will be the coolest thing about it???????

getting to listen to 3rdtk try to explain how the SIR is more rigid.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 7:29:08 AM EDT
[#35]
[argue]....... he heh!
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 8:17:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Anything new to report?  SITREP!

Cheers
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 8:44:21 PM EDT
[#37]
KAC 16" URXII upper

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=19572[/img]

I think we are all still in a holding pattern...

Link Posted: 12/25/2003 8:49:29 PM EDT
[#38]
is it poiple or is it just the lighting?
MM
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 8:56:30 PM EDT
[#39]
That looks like WES's exposed aggregate.  Might he be selling them soon?
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 8:59:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Aso,look at the front sight.  KAC?
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 9:20:50 PM EDT
[#41]
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid95/p432781fa4adbadb503554dce205132fe/fa31640b.jpg[/img]

I saw this in an ad:
[url]http://www.biggerhammer.net/stoner/wwwboard/index.cgi?read=4581[/url]
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 9:22:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Correct on Wes's floor (good eye)

It was an upper for me that went back KAC, to get exchanged with a midlength system.

I would guess Wes would be a first person to contact when they are released.

However KAC is a stickler so far for the comlete rifle - It will take a lot of lobbying to Havoc and Coldblue to get them to convince C. Reed Knight that selling a seperate upper woudl be a good thing to do.

I don't know if it will happen as KAC remains committed to only releasing known "systems" so no-one can add a unknown variable and them blame KAC and the Stoner rifle system.
(Note US Gov't Colt lowers [and to a much lower amount Cdn Diemaco] are a KNOWN comodity)

While this is remarkable business practise it does not get the preban URXII Carbine and Midlength upper into civilian circulation anytime soon.
Hopefully this Assault Weapon Crime Ban crap will go away and KAC can make preban rifles for eveyones enjoyment

SR-25K URX [headbang]

-Kevin

Link Posted: 12/25/2003 10:17:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Great now when will the URX be availible seperately?  : )
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 10:23:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Well, honestly...

Due to the alignment issues, and the need to buy a specific alignment guide and barrel nut wrench.

All I can say is I am going to retrofit about 5 carbines, and 3 rifles when it does - plus friends - coworkers, and others hangers off
So I will spring for the kit and kaboodle if possible.

Plus I want to rebuild my MRS 20"

But I would KILL for a AR10 URXII
(we have the AR10 at work now...)

Link Posted: 12/26/2003 5:18:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Correct on Wes's floor (good eye)

It was an upper for me that went back KAC, to get exchanged with a midlength system.

I would guess Wes would be a first person to contact when they are released.

However KAC is a stickler so far for the comlete rifle - It will take a lot of lobbying to Havoc and Coldblue to get them to convince C. Reed Knight that selling a seperate upper woudl be a good thing to do.

I don't know if it will happen as KAC remains committed to only releasing known "systems" so no-one can add a unknown variable and them blame KAC and the Stoner rifle system.
(Note US Gov't Colt lowers [and to a much lower amount Cdn Diemaco] are a KNOWN comodity)

While this is remarkable business practise it does not get the preban URXII Carbine and Midlength upper into civilian circulation anytime soon.
Hopefully this Assault Weapon Crime Ban crap will go away and KAC can make preban rifles for eveyones enjoyment

SR-25K URX [headbang]

-Kevin

View Quote

KevinB,

Your statements above seem to confirm a midlength URX II. Please tell me that it is real. It's time for the midlength config to gain more acceptance. Have you seen it yet? Do you have any specifications on it? Please tell me that it has a 1/7 barrel.

Thanks

Jim
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 5:43:30 PM EDT
[#46]
KAC has a midlenght URX (postban) at SHOT 2003.

I have seen a Midlength 'military' (preban and select fire) URX version as well.

I have not yet seen (in my hot little hands) a 'military type' URXII midlength - but I have it on authority that there is more than 1.  
The one I am aware of has a 1:7 bbl.

Coldblue would be the definitive answer.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 11:36:31 PM EDT
[#47]
what's the difference between URX and URXII  ???

Stainless
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 2:19:58 AM EDT
[#48]
As mentioned earlier in this thread, the difference is the barrel nut to accomodate the M203 grenade launcher.  Coldblue already mentioned envisioning a midlength, 1/7, with KAC's advanced barrel extension and bolt, URX-II to be coming out first, and was hoping for by next SHOT show.   I've got my money saved up for it already, just waiting to plop it down.  I hope MSTN is allowed to help out with installations to speed things along, though Coldblue said complete rifles/uppers would be the first URX products available, followed by retrogrades.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 9:06:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Sorry guys I jumped the gun - more info at SHOT...
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:25:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top