Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2005 8:52:01 AM EDT
I'm considering switching to a holosight for next month's match and I'm interested in comments/reviews from people that have experience with the XLP. You don't need to go through the whole holosight concept for me, just how the XLP compares with the 51 series. I haven't had an opportunity to see/handle one (XLP), nor have I heard anything about them, and am curious about the window size difference, construction/durability difference, and anything else a user might notice.

I'm new to AR15.com, so my apologies if this has been covered elsewhere on the site, or if I've posted this in the wrong spot, etc. Please feel encouraged to offer correction/direction (but don't bother to flame me). Thanks all.
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 10:07:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Nobody? I was sure that there were enough early adopters here at AR15.com that *somebody* would have experience to share...

Link Posted: 11/30/2005 11:49:27 AM EDT
[#2]
The XLP is a flaming pile of shit. Bushnell has no idea what they are doing when making/cheapifying this sight. Stick to an eotech or eotech made holosight.

Link Posted: 12/1/2005 1:54:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Ridley,

Thanks for your response. I *don't* challenge your statement; I *do* wonder what quantitative (or even qualitative) information you use to support your position. I find unsupported positions/claims of questionable value. If you have the time/interest I would be happy to see you follow up and elaborate on this post. Thanks.

ac
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:34:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Anybody?

I haven't made a purchase yet, so any information would still be useful. Thanks.

ac
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:47:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't have any first hand experience, but let me just say that the XLP is NOT a platform that was designed for the AR15, and in fact, the design will most likely be a POOR fit on most AR's except for carry handles or SIR systems.  

It's "Xtreme Low Profile" is for mounting on pistols and shotguns etc, while a lot of folks already find the need to RAISE the height of the existing EOTech and Holosight to work with the AR.

You could find a little information over at the Beretta Forums.  Because the regular EOTech is too tall to co-witness with the Storm's sights, those guys have been waiting impatiently for the XLP.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 12:26:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Onslaught,

Thanks for the Baretta Forum suggestion. Following your suggestion, I've checked, but haven't found the info I'm looking for yet. I'll continue to monitor the forum.

I agree with you - the XLP is likely a poor choice for the majority of ARs/AR users. The low profile appeals to me however - I currently (and quite succesfully) run a low profile set-up. My line of sight is .82" above the top of my rail and I'm hoping to find a holo-type that can come close (I'd like to maintain my cheekweld). On a different set-up I need the bottom of the window to be no higher than 1.05" above the top of the rail (this allows me to co-witness).

The search continues...

I appreciate your assistance.

ac
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:00:26 PM EDT
[#7]
i got a xlp to mount on my ar pistol,them i traded my ar pistol,since then its collecting dust.
as far as being a fpos.....i think you could do a hell of alot worse.i just dont know what to do with the thing yet.....ill let you know when i figure it out!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:36:10 AM EDT
[#8]
elray,

Thanks for the post. I'll be looking forward to hearing what you do with the XLP, and how it works for you.
How high is the window above the top of the picatinny rail? (pretend it's mounted). What are the window's dimensions? TIA.

ac
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:57:19 AM EDT
[#9]
The XLP's window seems significantly smaller than a standard eotech, although the specs make it seem only slightly so. The recticle in the two i had recieved had so much bleed to them that they were almost unrecognizable. You know how when you look at the eotech recticle it appears blurry? Well when looking at the XLP recticle it appeared as an unrecognizable blob. When focusing on the target like you should be doing, the XLP's recticle wouldn't even clear up as much as the directly stared at eotech recticle. There were also 4 other Ghost recticles in on of them, and 2 more in the replacement I recieved. I also had problems with the control buttone working every time i pushed them, as i would have to hit them repeatedly to get any change in recticle brightness. My last beef is with the crazy fragile looking window. If you look under the "hood" of the xlp, you will be stunned at how fragile the whole assembly is.

I bought this sight primarily for my Benelli. It does sit lower than a standard eotech, but not remarkably so. Maybe a 1/4 lower if that. I sent both of the sights back for a refund. I would in no circumstance ever use one of these on an AR that even had a remote possibilty of being used for anything other than plinking.

Sorry for the delay, as I forgot I ever rsponded to this thread
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:20:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Have you tried an Eotech at all?
I think the Eotech is going to be very close to your height window.

In all areas, the Eotech is superior to the Bushnell for an AR.
Ruggedness, battery life, larger window, etc.

Good luck, and welcome to the board.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:36:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Ridley,

Thanks for the information - it sounds like Bushnell has some early production bugs to take care of. The window however, if it is as fragile as you say it looks, would be a design issue. Probably not something I want to deal with. Unless users jump to its defense with glowing reviews (anybody? hello?) I think I may be done with the XLP.

ac
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:18:44 PM EDT
[#12]
mini14jac,

Thanks for your comments. Yes, I've enjoyed my limited (rifle swap stages at matches) use of the Eotech. I don't have its dimensions, but had the impression that its window was at least 1.4" above the picatinny rail. This would not allow me to simply swap my optic for the holosight and keep my cheekweld, but I haven't had an opportunity to mount one...

Considering the comments made by Ridley and yourself, I think the XLP may be off the table now - remaining is the Eo-type and possibly a 2moa aimpoint-type. Hmmm... have to check my (always disappointing) bank account.

Thanks for welcoming me to the board.

ac
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:03:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I have no experience with this one either, but it fits your height requirements:

http://www.atncorp.com/DayOptics/ReflexSights/ATNUltraSightDigitalCompact

I have heard nothing good about ATN reflex sights, but nothing bad about ATN Digital reflex sights...
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:10:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Onslaught,

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't have any personal experience with ATN. I'll look into, but think I may relax my "requirements" and consider an Eotech.

ac
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top