Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/8/2003 12:11:46 AM EDT

This stuff turns the hardest carbon deposits into easily manageable goo in only a few minutes...the endless scraping of the "well" in the carrier became a ten minute job instead of a twenty minute or more job.  ( which reminds me that I need to get that nifty brownell's scraper so that it become a ten SECOND job).  No stench, no toxins just an easy on/easy off soapy liquid that truly works.

For the true test I  used it on a friend's CAR-15 that had not been clean since I had borrowed it from him over a year ago.  Lemme tell ya...you wanna talk about filthy!!!!!!!!  Well, we hosed the whole gun down with it and with the exception of the bolt carrier and bolt the entire weapon was clean in minutes.  The bolt was so ungodly caked with carbon that it is a testament to the AR-15 as to its' true potential of reliability.  Nonetheless with some judicious soaking and bit of time the bolt cleaned up almost as easy as a normal bolt cleans up with any other substance.
A warning: MPro 7 is friggin EXPENSIVE!       ( about 15 to 18 bucks for an 8 fl.ounce bottle )
but it is soooooo worth it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 8:45:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Just got a gallon bottle for cleaning some of the bigger items (only $75 per gallon).

Link Posted: 1/10/2003 6:41:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I have been using MPro-7 for three years.  I buy it by the gallon.  It is WONDERFUL stuff.  The best cleaning solvent, hands down.  I know, because I have tried them all.  NOTHING gets rid of the carbon quicker and more thoroughly.  The next best solvent is Shooters Choice MC7, which is smelly and toxic, although it works almost as well.

Interestingly, MPro-7 DOES remove copper fouling.  It does it the same way it removes all other fouling--it penetrates below the copper attacking the carbon fouling and allows you to brush it out.  You must use a standard metal bristle brush to get the right agitation going.  A tornado brush or a nylon brush do not cut it.  This applies to copper fouling that has not "bonded" itself to the inside of the barrel (2000 fps and below).  At 2000 fps and above, MPro-7 cannot remove the copper fouling because of the bonding effect.  In this case, I will follow up with Sweets from time to time to remove the copper.

Note that MPro-7 removes all oils and greases, so it is not a CLP.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 7:47:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I have used it off and on for a couple years now.  With no odor it is perfect for use in the house.  Another good cleaner that is good for copper removal is Butch's Bore Shine, although it has the strong petroleum type smell that my wife complains about. I like to use Butchs for barrel break-in procedure at the range (where that wonderfull smell can dissipate).  

One thing I notice is that a tight patch with Butche's will not go down the bore when using MPro7.  The Butch's must act as a lubricant or somesuch.

Now if we could get a group purchase on MPro7 to get it down to $5 / gallon wouldn't that be SWEET!
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 12:29:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I just orderd a gallon from brownells, 37 bucks.. :)
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 7:28:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm real ccurious how you got that price since I just went online and it was around $67 a gallon from Brownell's ???
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 5:33:59 AM EDT
[#6]
He's got the "dealer" discount from Brownells.  I get this as well due to being a C&R FFL license holder.  At $30 for three years, it's worth getting a C&R just for the Brownells discount, as this single example illustrates.
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 8:35:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Red-leg - thanks for the response.  Out of sounding stupid, what is that license and how do you get it?
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 10:45:43 AM EDT
[#8]
The Curio & Relic Class 2 FFL is a licence to purchase weapons deemed as either curio or relic by the BATF.  Most weapons built more than 50 years ago fall into this category, but the BATF has seen fit to add some others for any number of reasons.

A C&R allows you to [b]collect[/b] firearms and have these firearms directly shipped to your door.  It is not a license to conduct business and if you are suspected of conducting a business with your C&R, you could be subject to some very stiff penalties.

Many of your questions will be answered by heading over to [url=http://www.cruffler.com]Cruffler.com[/url].
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top