Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2003 7:32:50 PM EDT
I want to get into tactical long range shooting and wondered if the 16" 1:9 upper I already have would produce good results?

If not, I have my eye on an RRA 18" varminter upper.  Topped off with a leupy 3.5-10X50 Ill.

your opinions please.

TIA

Link Posted: 10/9/2003 9:14:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Before your question can be answered, what is "tactical long range shooting" to you???

Link Posted: 10/10/2003 5:06:43 AM EDT
[#2]
As stated we'd really need to know what long range means to you. I have a 16" upper that I plan to shoot woodchucks and coyotes with out to 250 yards. (that's about as tacticle as I hope to get :) Personally, if I were shooting an AR at longer ranges I would want as long a barrel as I could get. (maybe 24") and I'd shoot a heavy bullet (69 gr. Sierra on up) in a fast twist (1x8) barrel. And if you are talking serious firepower at 400 plus yards-I'd move up in caliber. Do I thing your 16-18" barrel would get'm out there? no question, it will. Is it ideal? not in my opinion. All bullets are affected by gravity and the wind and a long as you know where they are going to land you hit what you are aiming at. (sounds simple doesn't it :)
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 6:28:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I will qualify this be stating what do you feel is LR?

A buddy of mine has a DPMS Sweetsixteen that he can make headshots with (on the KD) with a 500m.

I would suggest that the 77gr SMK or Nosler BTHP, or the 75gr Hornady BTHP would be your best choices at that range.  Wiyth that a 1:7 or 1:8 bbl would be a better choice.

I have 2 1:9 Armalite gov't midlenght with freefloats (SIR#58 and KAC FFRAS M/L) that are close to submoa guns out to 4-500m - but not with the heavier 5.56mm...

Link Posted: 10/10/2003 6:44:08 AM EDT
[#4]
If you consider an ACOG/16inch to be tactical (which I do) you have yourself a 600M system for body shots on human sized targets.

Other people might consider "tactical" to mean a 20-24in bull barrel and US OPTICS scope capable of taking shots with extreme precision as Kevin B mentioned, and effective to 700-800M or more.

[b]If you look at Army sniper records from Vietnam most kills were taken at less than 700M with a rare few at 700-900M (like %5 or less). Given the fact that long range kills (except for well emplaced soldiers firing .50cal rifles) are still mostly close range; I would think that a 16inch with 600M range is plenty, and allows you to have greater flexibility from MOUT to full out sniping at 600M.

Nearly the same holds true for hunting as even the best Ar's are no match for prairie dogs at farther than 500-700M (the wind has a great effect on the light bullet traveling at moderately high velocity- If varmints are your game a specialized system- like a custom bolt gun with .223WSSM and high end nightforce or US Optics would be right up your alley.)

If the elusive 5-10% of real world needs beyond 600M is what you think is more important.... then I would reccomend a 24in bull barrel rifled 1/7in twist. [/b]
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 7:02:42 AM EDT
[#5]
I woudl never recommend a 20+" platform in the AR15.

As we have seen with the Mk12 SPR's that a 18.25 (ish) barrel would appear to be the optimum barrel lenght for this platform.

Since you mentioned a Leupy M3LR - I would guess the Mk12 type rifle woudl be more what you want I woudl contact Wes at MSTN to dicuss the options and his recomondations based on your needs.
[url]www.misn.biz[/url]
[email][email protected][/url]
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 2:48:47 PM EDT
[#6]
tee hee hee

long range for me is 250-400yards

I guess thats not realy "long range"

please forgive my ignorance.

I'll be shooting from a bi-pod at a range. As soon as I'm consistant at 300yards, the damn coyotes better watch out. I think a coyote at 300 yards is a harder shot than a man at 300 yards, hence the "tactical".

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top