Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/2/2006 8:34:47 PM EDT
I don't have a 9mm ar and Im interested in that particular model. Are they reliable?

Also do the mags release the same way as a 556 mag just by pushing the button? Hows that shell deflector held on the upper, is it part of the upper or is it a bolted/welded on piece?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:48:39 PM EDT
[#1]
The deflector is attached by the pivot pin for the ejection port door.  Mag catch works the same as 5.56.

Midlength vs carbine length makes no difference to the operation of the firearm in 9mm, since it's a blowback operated system.  Just longer handguards and longer sight radius.  I like the midlength myself, but it's personal preference.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:43:29 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Just longer handguards and longer sight radius.  I like the midlength myself, but it's personal preference.

I feel the same about the mid-length RRA 9mm carbine. The only problem I found was, it's harder to find FF railed handguards for. I did a standard length carbine with all the junk on it and it just started getting to heavy so I decided to stay with the original handguards on the midlength, added some rails to it and it works great and is still light.

This is another midlength (not my 9mm) that I did the same way.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:28:06 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I feel the same about the mid-length RRA 9mm carbine. The only problem I found was, it's harder to find FF railed handguards for.

Please elaborate. Which brand and/or style were you looking at? Mid-length ARs are the hottest thing going right now so I'm a bit surprised by your statement. Everyone seems to be making a mid-length FF rail system now.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:04:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:31:22 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Please elaborate. Which brand and/or style were you looking at? Mid-length ARs are the hottest thing going right now so I'm a bit surprised by your statement. Everyone seems to be making a mid-length FF rail system now.

There may be more now and I hope I didn't misinform HunterGren! Back when I first got the midlength RRA carbine there were no midlength handguards other than the standard type from RRA and Armalite. When I did my second midlength carbine the only after-market midlength was a Firsh and it was not really the right length. I got one of the first and it was about 3/4" too short with the tube cranked as far out as I could on the barrel nut and still feel it was sturdy.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:32:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Surefire has the M85 quad, A.R.M.S. has the SIR 58m, but no C model, KAC, to the best of my knowledge hasn't done a mid RIS or RAS (but I'll be looking/chatting at the SHOT Show about it), Daniel Defense has their 9.0 and 12.0 FSPM.  Yankee Hill has std and light weight free floats, and the list goes on.  There shouldn't be problems anymore finding some kind of quad (ff or not) to fit one's needs.
Steve/RRA

Add Larue to that list as well. Mid-length FF rail systems are easy to come by nowadays.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top