Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/3/2002 3:07:43 PM EDT
I'm trying to figure out what involved in completing 60% FAL receiver.

From the looks of it, it appears that the only things left to be done to the 60% FAL castings are:

1. Cut charging handle slot
2. drill and ream holes
4. ream and thread for the barrel
5. anything else I'm missing?

It looks like cutting the handle slot would be the hardest part because of the slots within the slot.
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 5:13:11 PM EDT
[#1]
As much as I know on machine work I won't even tackle that one. The barrel threads are timed.
How are you gonna do that one. I was gonna start with a billet piece of tool steel and thread for the barrel then start squaring up the receiver in relationship to the barrel.
To much work for me to do.

Rick
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 6:52:16 PM EDT
[#2]
scram...Rick hit that one right on the head. All the little stuff that looks tuff is really nothing compared to setting the barrel. I have thought about building from a 60% but that's about as far as I've gone. Ask Snelling...he's been the cause of the BIY FAL bruhaha. If he hasn't built one then it probably ain't worth doing...Bud
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 7:46:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Let me add to that....
you can finish a casting but you'll have to use a threaded barrel blank. Once the receiver is threaded, install your barrel and mark it so you can turn the profile on. Also the face of the barrel (receiver end) will have mill work done there also. This is the reason the factory threads are timed. It is doable

Hope this helps.
Rick
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 3:54:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Could you not use an inch barrel and the breaching washers to get the barrel timing?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top