Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2004 3:43:29 PM EDT
anyone know about thier quality and reputation?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:34:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I have never had any of their parts, but have looked them over at gunshows, and passed.. Doesnt really resemble quality to me...
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:46:35 PM EDT
[#2]
If you do a search, you'll find that most people are happy with them. I'm pleased with the superlight barrel I ordered from them.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:47:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Junk, and they're assholes.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:47:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Most people that own a Model 1 kit, are satisfied. Hard core Colt or Bushmaster people are rarely impressed by a "kit". It all comes down to this. Do you actually get what you pay for? Or is this all a brand-name game?

I think (I am no expert), that there is a point in price where you are no longer achieving significant improvements in quality. Is a standard Bushmaster rifle really $500 better than a standard A2 kit from JT or Model 1? Will it be $500 more reliable? Or last $500 longer? Will the fit and finish be $500  better?

I have read about Colt and Bushmaster. Colt in particular spends more time and money on quality control. Parts, materials and function are all tested and contructed by higher standards. Kits are probably not even tested in any way or form.

I think the Model 1 Kit is fine. I have a decent eye for detail, and I don't see it to be any different from any major brandname makers. After all, these are military style type rifles. For the price, the kits are plenty fine. If you are worried about function, read here a while - colts, bushmasters, armalites everything has failed to funciton or has had something break. Nothing is perfect.

Get the kit and save the money for other things. If something breaks, replace it - isn't that one of hte best aspects of the AR? Easy to work on. If you are ultimately disgusted with with kit, trade it or sell it towards a brand-name maker and try that route.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:39:49 PM EDT
[#5]
alrighty thanks, yall!

guess ill stick w/ bushmaster
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:02:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
alrighty thanks, yall!

Barrel/bolt group are the weak link with Model 1. 4140 steel instead of 4150 and most not chrome lined. other than that probably ok.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:18:55 PM EDT
[#7]
i'm happy with my M1S xm-177 upper. I don't see any difference in the fit or finish then colt,bushy,RRA etc. The finish matches almost perfect with my RRA us property lower.

Although i have to admit their LPK was junk...usable, but very cheap.

But all the brand diehards will tell you that any "kit" is cheap junky stuff....

halik
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:29:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Bushmaster used to sell "kits" which used to cost about the same as what they now sell an average run of the mill upper.

I bought a "kit" from Sherluk once. Gov't profile barrel milspec barrel, and all milspec parts, everything but the lower. It was about $400 shipped. Best deal I ever got in an AR15. It became my favorite rifle because it was fun to shoot, because it never failed. Too bad it seems those guys aren't around anymore.

On the other hand, I had an Armalite factory built rifle which gave me several problems at first and a BM bolt in a Colt M4 upper assy which had FTE problems because of a defective extractor spring. YMMV.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:33:32 PM EDT
[#9]
My 6.8 barrel, bolt & FF tube are just fine. Got no problems with them at all. Stuff mated w/o any hitches when I did my build with the exceprion of the bolt. It was incorrectly bored for the firing pin. Contacted them and they said return it. Had a new that functions flawlessly in less than a week. No hassles. Finish matches my RRA upper and lower quite well. I'd buy from them again.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:45:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
alrighty thanks, yall!

Barrel/bolt group are the weak link with Model 1. 4140 steel instead of 4150 and most not chrome lined. other than that probably ok.

I don't know about all that!
I have a Model 1 kit that is going on 7 years old now I think 16"car still runs like a champ.
Same Bolt/carrier/extractor/ext spring, no gizmos just a basic A2
Never has had an issue, it has been used and even abused at times and still works like a charm never had an issue.

Must be because it is built on a Bushmaster lower?
No it isn't one of the magic purple ones.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:21:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
alrighty thanks, yall!

Where do you get that information from?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:06:11 AM EDT
[#12]
the kits are pretty nice....wish I could say the same for the people there....I wanted to get a 14 1/2" M4 kit and their 1 1/2" A2 looking muzzlebrake to permenently attach, they said they wouldnt sell me the kit without paperwork that I had an NFA weapon...to me that is just pure bullshit!! They are in NO WAY liable as they are NOT selling a firearm, just parts!! Now if I build an illegal weapon then thats my ass not theres...Im just tired of the BS companies like that try to pawn off on us!!! And on top of it, I even asked if they could attach the brake for me, and they wouldnt! I just bought the 16" M4 kit instead, but it still pisses me off!!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:26:53 PM EDT
[#13]
SMPrider112
Cut em  a break, Better to piss you off a little than go to jail cuz the BATFE set them up. They are just doing the CYA thing.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:56:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
the kits are pretty nice....wish I could say the same for the people there....I wanted to get a 14 1/2" M4 kit and their 1 1/2" A2 looking muzzlebrake to permenently attach, they said they wouldnt sell me the kit without paperwork that I had an NFA weapon...to me that is just pure bullshit!! They are in NO WAY liable as they are NOT selling a firearm, just parts!! Now if I build an illegal weapon then thats my ass not theres...Im just tired of the BS companies like that try to pawn off on us!!! And on top of it, I even asked if they could attach the brake for me, and they wouldnt! I just bought the 16" M4 kit instead, but it still pisses me off!!

The problem is that I am pretty sure that I have heard of at least one 'parts' dealer get busted for exactly this type of infraction.  I don't know if the prosecution went through, but they had a real difficult time with the b atfe.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:18:18 AM EDT
[#15]
see I dont understand how THEY are liable....If I built an illegal gun its my OWN fault.  But even still when I'm buying the 14 1/2" kit AND their 1 1/2" muzzlebrake....what do they think im gonna do?? I can MAYBE see not selling an M16 kit....I dont know, maybe I am being hard on em...I just KNOW BUSHMASTER had NO PROBLEMS selling me a 14 1/2" barrel!!!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top