Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/28/2006 9:58:30 PM EDT
I've got (well will soon) have access to all kinds of killer tools. CNC stuff and everything below it

So has anybody ever tired to do their own complete rifle? Lower reciever, hammers, uppers, triggers etc etc etc.. and of course anybody have plans? specs for everything?

I KNOW it's not going to be cost effective but it seems like it would be a cool thing to try and do.

i did my own .308 USMC sniper setup that cost me more to do than it would have cost to buy but this is just something else i'd like to try
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:35:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I made a selector detent out of a nail once………does that count?  
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:43:01 AM EDT
[#2]
The AR CAD files and blueprints are under the information tab/manuals and downloads
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:53:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Check out cncgunsmithing.com.  Cool site.  Good luck.

-JBot
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:18:47 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

um..... yea i guess so
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:31:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I like it! Very innovative.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:11:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Does that mean the AR i made out of jello counts too, right?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:31:02 PM EDT
[#7]
dude bill cosby loves jello
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:44:03 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like it! Very innovative.

I was one desperate SOB!  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:19:14 PM EDT
[#9]
If by "built it yourself" you mean: take a block of 7075 T-6 aluminum and CNC the upper and lower, why yes, this guy has:

(Jesusbot wrote) "Check out cncgunsmithing.com. Cool site. Good luck."

Did you look at the site?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:42:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Isn't manufacturing your own firearm a sure fire way to land yourself in jail?

If someone could just build their own why fill out 4473's and all?

Am I off base here?

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:56:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Am I off base here?

Um, you are in the build it yourself forum.  If you have to ask why, you don't understand.  BTW, we are "making," not "manufacturing."  Something of a difference.

How long have you been around here?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:35:26 PM EDT
[#12]
manufacturing (like lowers made out of 80% forgings) are legal as long as you don't sell them.  If you sell them, you need a manufacturing licence. At least this is how I understand it...
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:57:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Am I off base here?

you can make your self a gun as long as you follow the laws like one shot per trigger pull no SBR unless you get your stamp first, ect.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:54:31 PM EDT
[#14]
I believe it goes something like this...(copy/paste from Tanneryshop)  The difference is they're talking about an 80% lower...same difference.  You can't sell it, but you can certainly build it.

80% BUILDING  INFO

An 80% frame is actually a "special case" with the BATF and comes under restrictions that apply to any metal castings that are used to form the basis for gun parts.

In this case, what we are talking about is a metal casting that has been "almost" completed. It was cast, and then some of the milling work was done to it... but they stopped before they cut the slide rails (or any other combo of cuts that add up to the remaining 20% of the milling steps). Because the manufacturer stopped working on the piece BEFORE it was finished.... the piece is still in a state of limbo, so to speak.... it isn't really a "Gun" but it isn't really a raw hunk of metal either.

The castings do NOT have any serial numbers or roll marks on them (normally the last step in the manufacturing process). In this form they are still considered to be just pieces of metal as far as the BATF and the Brady Bill are concerned. If the manufacturer takes them one step further... then they are subject to all the laws of the land that apply to firearms. Remember that as far as the ATF is concerned... the frame/receiver IS the firearm.... and everything else is just parts.

So it is perfectly legal to order an 80% frame/receiver from the distributor and there is no paperwork at all involved. You do not need to be an FFL dealer, anyone that wants one can just call and give their credit card number and *poof* out it goes in the mail.

Ok..... sounds really cool huh? So what's the rub?

Well the bottom line is... YOU (and only you) have to finish the final machining process on it yourself. There are no serial numbers and the firearm (once it is complete) can NEVER.... let me say that again to be sure you understand it... NEVER, EVER be sold to anyone else.... period! It would be a firearm for "personal use only" and the only other living soul that you may legally give it to would be an heir (to your son in your will for instance).

If you build your own firearm in this way, then you are acting as a firearms manufacturer which is perfectly legal as long as it is for personal use only.

YOUR RESPONSIBLE FOR COMPLING WITH FEDERAL LAWS

It is your responsibility to comply with Federal, State and any Local laws concerning your ability to own, build or carry any firearm.

If you have any question as to your legal status; Consult the BATF and your local regulatory authorities

QUESTION FROM THE BATF WEB SITE

Unfinished Gun Receivers and Blueprints  

(A7) Does the GCA prohibit anyone from making a handgun, shotgun or rifle?

With certain exceptions a firearm may be made by a nonlicensee provided it is not for sale and the maker is not prohibited from possessing firearms. However, a person is prohibited from making a semiautomatic assault weapon or assembling a nonsporting semiautomatic rifle or nonsporting shotgun from imported parts. In addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and approval by ATF. An application to make a machinegun will not be approved unless documentation is submitted showing that the firearm is being made for a federal or state agency. [18 U. S. C. 922( o), (r), (v), and 923, 27 CFR 178.39, 178.40, 178.41 and 179.105]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:00:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Once again, ATF does not recognize the term "80%," or 50% or 0%.  It is either a firearm (reciever) or it is not.  No shades of grey, but the difference can be exceedingly fine and determined by ATF once they have a sample of exactly what you want to call a non-firearm in thier hot little hands.

Also, making = what home shop builders do.  Manufacturing = building for sale, i.e., gun companies.

Firearms you make yourself do not have to be buried with you, nor does it mean you cannot sell them once your interests have moved on.

I wish those whose business it is selling the stuff would try to know the difference.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:46:44 AM EDT
[#16]
musashi666 - sorry if some guys jumped down your throat; I think that JesusBot summed it up very very well in his latest post.

Everyone: RE READ THE 1ST POST BY JESUSBOT:  (Jesusbot wrote) "Check out cncgunsmithing.com. Cool site. Good luck."

That site again is:

cncgunsmithing.com

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top