Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 9/15/2009 9:01:36 PM EST
I have narrowed down a scope search a Leupold 1x4 VX-II from their custom shop and getting a German 4 reticle added over the standard duplex. Is there any REAL reason why this wouldnt be a decent little tactical scope to go on top of a 20 inch AR (first rifle). The only other option ive seen that is really close is a bushnell 4200 1.25x4 with the same reticle plus an illuminated dot in the center (not the biggest of deals to me) I am kinda assuming the Leupold scope might have a bit better glass hopefully and only heard good things of their customer service. So it gtg or any other sub 400 scope I am missing. And I picked the VX over the mark AR so I can get the german reticle
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:21:11 AM EST
What are you using the rifle for? What distances? Shooting from a bench or standing or . .. . ?

If you're shooting on the move, shooting multiple targets, etc, don't underestimate the value of a daytime visible illuminated reticle.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:17:54 AM EST
Range work really, lil standing lil bench, no farther than 180 yards. Nothing too drastic. The only real time i would get a chance (anytime soon) to try multi target or on the move would be SHTF, which is why I am more interesting in a 1-4 power, wouldnt totally screw myself in case of an emergency but yea, its gunna be target shooting in day time, nothing to exciting
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:19:45 AM EST
Well if you're primarily going to be shooting targets from static positions, that leads me to believe you'd like to try and shoot the smallest groups you can. I'd use more magnification for that purpose.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:33:16 AM EST
The Bushnell 4200 has way better glass than the Leupold VXII. LaRue mount either way and you're set.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:36:56 AM EST
ok was wondering that, I found one for 380, and its not really a target rifle, I just want a lil magnification, and think red dots on 20 inchers look funny haha personal preference. So any other votes for the elite 4200??
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:19:31 AM EST
You can get the German 4 in the Mark AR, it's just not on their website. Call them direct if you settle on the Leupold and they'll set you up.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:58:38 AM EST
any chance you have any knowledge on the glass between the mark ar and the VX-II? Or any real difference at all? Because I liked the "true 1X" of the VX compared to the 1.5 of the Mark AR but if the glass is better or some other advantages of the Mark AR would gladly take it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:51:49 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/16/2009 11:52:14 AM EST by obcbeaker]
I originally ordered the same VX-II with a Turkey Plex through the Custom Shop. When the rep called me the next day, I learned that the VX-II and the Mark AR are almost the same scope. Same glass, same reticle choices. They even have the same magnification range. The true magnification on both is 1.6X-4.2X. You can confirm this through the specs on Leupold.com. To my knowledge, Leupold does not make a "true" 1X scope, save for the CQT (and obviously the prismatic). The only differences between the VX-II and the Mark AR are the turrets and the power ring. The Mark AR comes with finger click turrets, which aren't available on the VX-II (turret housing is too small), and the adjustments are 1/2 MOA on the Mark AR vs 1/4 MOA on the VX-II. On a low magnification scope, I've found that 1/2 MOA is plenty fine, but you may feel differently. Not sure if 1/4 MOA is an upgrade option on the Mark AR. Also, on the Mark AR, the power adjustment ring is slightly larger, easier to grip, and not quite as hard to turn as the power ring on my VX-II 3-9X40, which is the same ring as on the scope you're looking at. The Mark AR is about $30 cheaper than the VX-II.

Hope this helps!
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:56:28 AM EST
awesome, yea helps a ton, just for reference how do you like the VX-II you got?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:09:54 PM EST
Guess I left that part out, didn't I? I didn't get the VX-II. When I found out the Mark AR had everything I wanted and a little more for less money, I got that instead.

I do, however, really like the VX-II 3-9X40 I have on my .30-06. Very clear and tough.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:58:24 PM EST
haha very good, and I assume the mark AR is working out well too? i might just have to give them a call tomorrow
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:15:00 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/16/2009 8:32:12 PM EST by JasonC]
I just checked Leupold's website and it states the VXII 1-4 comes with click 1/4 MOA adjustments. I don't know if this is something different than finger click adjustment. However, its not like your going to be making adjustments once the scope is zeroed -at least for this type of scope. If I was worried about making adjustments I would have bought a scope with a higher magnification and target turrets. I opted for the VXII because I feel I can zero my scope a bit more accurately with 1/4MOA adjustments. I figure this power of scope is good out to 400 -500yds. With 1/2 moa adjustments you may be off by 1.5moa at 300yds and 2.5 moa at 500yds. The Mark AR's power adjustment ring is larger, but I plan on putting a cat tail on mine anyway -so it really was a non issue.YMMV
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:02:16 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2009 12:03:12 PM EST by obcbeaker]
Originally Posted By JasonC:
I just checked Leupold's website and it states the VXII 1-4 comes with click 1/4 MOA adjustments. I don't know if this is something different than finger click adjustment. However, its not like your going to be making adjustments once the scope is zeroed -at least for this type of scope. If I was worried about making adjustments I would have bought a scope with a higher magnification and target turrets. I opted for the VXII because I feel I can zero my scope a bit more accurately with 1/4MOA adjustments. I figure this power of scope is good out to 400 -500yds. With 1/2 moa adjustments you may be off by 1.5moa at 300yds and 2.5 moa at 500yds. The Mark AR's power adjustment ring is larger, but I plan on putting a cat tail on mine anyway -so it really was a non issue.YMMV

The adjustments on the VX-II are accomplished with the edge of the turret cover or a coin. On the Mark AR, the turret covers come off to reveal a non-sealed turret with serrated edges that can be adjusted without tools. Curiously, my turrets are marked 1/4 MOA, but the product specs say 1/2 MOA, and I confirmed this while zeroing the scope. My guess is someone just grabbed the dials out of the wrong bin at the factory; I don't mind it. I have the scope zeroed at 50yds, and confirmed its re-zero at 200yds with my carry ammo (Remington 62-grain Core-Lokt). I don't plan to shoot this rifle past 200 with this scope, though I may get a more powerful scope later on and try some farther shooting with match ammo. The joys of LaRue mounts . 1/2 MOA is good enough for me, but it may be too coarse for another's application.
Top Top