Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2003 9:25:13 AM EDT
does anyone have any experience with pneumatic buffers? aside from the $125.00 i don't really see any disadvantages, and getting rid of the *SPROING* may be well worth the loot... i was wondering if anyone had any input here?
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 1:50:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think I would trust them with my life but here is a link to someone with experiece with them. [url]http://www.assaultweb.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=004727[/url]
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 1:50:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Have no personal experience, but the one guy I talked to that did have it said it was fine when it woeked, but the seal blew out (or something of the sort) and it quit working after awhile. He apparently sent it back, Oly fixed it, but it blew out again after a few hundred more rounds.  Said he was about to trash the thing
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 3:58:09 PM EDT
[#3]
The US ARMY tried them out and they are terrible to try and get used to as the recoil is very dif. They are also very prone to irratic variations in rate of fire. (THEY SUCK).
Bad shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 8:32:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Dont try to fix something that works..
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 3:44:52 AM EDT
[#5]
thanks everyone, that's kind of the conclusion i've come to. i've read a lot, over the last two days, about the seals in these crapping out too. not a big fan of that...
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 9:18:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Just like software, don't buy version one of anything...

Also, there are many products out there that are suitable for competition, but simply are not appropriate for a good tactical rifle.

If you want a pneumatic buffer, then an adjustable gas system would be appropriate for tuning. An o-ring sealed pneumatic tube is simply not as soldier proof as a spring and a piston.

Stick to pure breds. A tactical rifle is built tough while sacrificing delicate refinement, but it won't win any benchrest competitions. A race gun is built very accurate but wouldn't survive a day in the bush unless kept in a Pelican type hard case and then handled gently.

So, if you want to shoot SAAMI spec ammo at paper targets while minimizing recoil to get overlapping holes in your shot group, a pneumatic buffer and adjustable gas system would be helpful.

Likewise, if you are bump firing beta-mags full of milsurp ammo at old Maytags and Toyotas, the "sproing" is the least of your worries.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 6:09:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had an Olympic AC4 Pnuematic Buffer in my home-built Olympic AR-15 Carbine coyote hunting gun for over a year.  I love it and will purchase more in the future.  I've shot thousands of rounds with it and have not had any problems.  This includes 90 degree heat in the summer and below zero temperatures in the winter.  No failures - no problems.

IMHO they work as advertised and make the AR-15 a more enjoyable gun to shoot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top