Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2009 12:55:03 PM EDT
Ok, I actually have a few questions.

Does this sound right: 800 dollars for handloaded ammo (.223, 80 grain, lapua brass, hornady bullet)?

And lastly, does it hurt the barrel at all to shoot 55 grain ammo from a 1-7 AR? Or is it more of a accuracy issue? I just made me an SPR an I wanna shoot a lot and far, but getting the right ammo is a pain right now. The company i built my AR recommended ammo with a 2.435 OAL. All help is greatly appreciated.
-ALex
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 12:57:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Ok, I actually have a few questions.

Does this sound right: 800 dollars for handloaded ammo (.223, 80 grain, lapua brass, hornady bullet)?

And lastly, does it hurt the barrel at all to shoot 55 grain ammo from a 1-7 AR? Or is it more of a accuracy issue? I just made me an SPR an I wanna shoot a lot and far, but getting the right ammo is a pain right now. The company i built my AR recommended ammo with a 2.435 OAL. All help is greatly appreciated.
-ALex

I think the first question you are going to get is how much ammo for $800?
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:01:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I smell fish here........
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:02:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
And lastly, does it hurt the barrel at all to shoot 55 grain ammo from a 1-7 AR?
-ALex

Not one bit
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:17:57 PM EDT
[#4]
No, $800 apiece for handloaded ammo is excessive.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:24:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
No, $800 apiece for handloaded ammo is excessive.

Excessive!?!?!?

It's robbery!!!!!

I suspect someone is charging him that per 1000 rounds, which is still very high by about 200%

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:24:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Handloaded ammo is kinda scary to me. Unless its somebody you know and are willing to trust your life and rifle with i would stay away.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:32:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm fairly very extremely hesitant to shoot any reload that didn't come out of my own press. Not trying to be the resident doomsayer, but there are far too many kaBOOM threads around here for me to trust anyone's workmanship outside of my own.

Does this person you're buying these reloads from know what they're doing?

If you're buying this ammo because you can't find factory 223, I'd spend my $800 on a good 22LR conversion and a boatload of rimfire ammo instead

ETA: Oh yeah-I shoot 55gr ammo out of my 1/7ROT barrels all the time with excellent results. Federal XM193 ball is my training/blasting ammo of choice.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:37:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm fairly very hesitant to shoot any reload that didn't come out of my own press.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 12:35:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Im sorry for not clarifying. But its for 500 rounds. The  place is preciseammunition.com

How far can I shoot 55 grain with a 1-7 twist? Ive heard a lot of people tell me that a 1-7 can only stabalize 65+ grain ammo. I can find plenty of 55 grain, but I want something accurate up to 500 yards at least. Im just looking for something with a 2.435 OAL thats like 65 grain +
-ALex
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 2:32:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I've killed plenty of skunks out to 200m using 55gr XM193 and a scoped 16" carbine. XM193 isn't known for it's accuracy, but it's sufficiently accurate for what I need.

Anyone who tells you that 55gr ammo isn't accurate out of a 1/7 barrel is wrong. Out of curiosity, why is OAL so important to you? My preferred long range/defensive ammo is Hornady 75gr TAP. As long as it fits in my magazines and functions reliably in my weapon, it's overall length doesn't matter to me.

ETA: $800 for 500 rounds is highway robbery-considering the component costs of the rounds you described. I would't pay that much if they were constructed of depleted uranium

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:08:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks so much for the info. I dont know why I thought OAL was so important, I just didnt want anything happening to my rifle when shooting. This is my first SPR, so I didnt want to take any chances you know. But just to clarify, as long as its .223 and fits in my mag, its ok to shoot? Ive seen ammo that says, must be shot out of a gun with a match throat. So I didnt want to make the mistake of ruining my bore or anything.

Also, what does it mean when something says its match ammo? Does that refer to the grainage? Thanks again.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 3:42:37 PM EDT
[#12]
bump
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 3:50:27 PM EDT
[#13]
"Match" ammo is a marketing term used to label ammo that is built for accuracy above all.  It tends to be more expensive, and is often not ideal for defensive applications.  But if you are trying to squeeze every last MOA out of your rifle, Match ammo is the way to go...
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 3:55:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

How far can I shoot 55 grain with a 1-7 twist? Ive heard a lot of people tell me that a 1-7 can only stabalize 65+ grain ammo.

Don't listen to another word that any of those "people" tell you.

I can find plenty of 55 grain, but I want something accurate up to 500 yards at least. Im just looking for something with a 2.435 OAL thats like 65 grain +
-ALex

Quoted:
Thanks so much for the info. I dont know why I thought OAL was so important, I just didnt want anything happening to my rifle when shooting. This is my first SPR, so I didnt want to take any chances you know. But just to clarify, as long as its .223 and fits in my mag, its ok to shoot? Ive seen ammo that says, must be shot out of a gun with a match throat. So I didnt want to make the mistake of ruining my bore or anything.

Also, what does it mean when something says its match ammo? Does that refer to the grainage? Thanks again.

You do realize that rounds loaded to an OAL of 2.435"  WILL NOT  fit in a magazine, right?  Also, that OAL  of 2.435" is most likely specific to the 80 grain bullet that you mentioned.  That length won't apply to bullets of other weight/shape.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 4:46:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:04:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
And lastly, does it hurt the barrel at all to shoot 55 grain ammo from a 1-7 AR?
-ALex

Not one bit

I shoot XM193 from my 1/7 barrels with no issues.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:32:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I dont understand then, what is the significance of f=different OALs? Why not just keep them all the same size?

And what 77grain ammo do you guys recommend?
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 7:13:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top