Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2011 10:54:32 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/3/2011 5:39:11 PM EST by regularAZguy]
Hello All,

New member but long time reader/lurker her at arfcom. I have a new stripped lower which was purchased from one of the site sponsors here that has what I would describe as a cut on the interior of the mag well. The "cut" is very slight, not really deep but deep enough to catch on a rough finger tip or a finger nail. The closest thing I could compare it to would be a paper cut on a finger? I'd post pic's but the "defect" doesn't show up in any of the pic's I've taken. I haven't put any parts into the lower yet, but I did check the mag well with a few P-Mag's I have and it seems that the dimensions of the mag well are within "spec" - ie: the mag slides in and out of the well nicely.

My gut reaction is to go ahead and assemble it but I'm hoping to tap the expertise here to ensure I'm not looking at a potential issue. I'm not concerned with "knowing it's there", I just don't want to be looking at a potential issue with the lower down the road.

At this point, My options are
1. Assemble and shoot it
2. Contact the vendor for remediation
3. Send it to another member for "proper disposal"
4. Break out the band saw

Edit for Pic...
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 11:19:27 PM EST
Originally Posted By regularAZguy:
Hello All,

New member but long time reader/lurker her at arfcom. I have a new stripped lower which was purchased from one of the site sponsors here that has what I would describe as a cut on the interior of the mag well. The "cut" is very slight, not really deep but deep enough to catch on a rough finger tip or a finger nail. The closest thing I could compare it to would be a paper cut on a finger? I'd post pic's but the "defect" doesn't show up in any of the pic's I've taken. I haven't put any parts into the lower yet, but I did check the mag well with a few P-Mag's I have and it seems that the dimensions of the mag well are within "spec" - ie: the mag slides in and out of the well nicely.

My gut reaction is to go ahead and assemble it but I'm hoping to tap the expertise here to ensure I'm not looking at a potential issue. I'm not concerned with "knowing it's there", I just don't want to be looking at a potential issue with the lower down the road.

1. Assemble and shoot it

You have been lurking!

Maybe you could describe where it is and how it's oriented?

I'm off to the arms room!
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 11:25:43 PM EST
Hello All,

1. Assemble and shoot it

That would be me

Can you take pics and then with your computer draw those cool colored lines and circles representing the cut marks ?

My gut hunch at this point is that the cuts are normal or machining marks.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 12:02:31 AM EST
If the mag slips in and out of the mag well easily I wouldn't worry about it. But that's just my opinion.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 5:40:20 PM EST
Thanks for the views and replies so far....added pic to OP.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:12:45 PM EST
Looks like a non-issue.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:27:45 PM EST
I dunno man, you might want to send it to me for testing. Send ammo too.

Looks fine.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:43:52 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/3/2011 7:44:52 PM EST by B44T]
A tool mark possibly a chatter mark from the broaching process. Non critical and in a non critical area, you are go to go.

Of course you can send it to me for * ahem* "further evaluation and testing"

ETA

BTW nice intro post, well done.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 10:41:11 PM EST
Thanks for your time and inputson everyone. This is actually one of two lowers with consecutive serials I purchased with the intent of a father son build - one for each of us! Hopefully, I'll be posting pics with ten toes soon.

Killer- I hate to assume, but are you .mil? If so thanks for your service.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 10:46:47 PM EST
Originally Posted By B44T:
A tool mark possibly a chatter mark from the broaching process. Non critical and in a non critical area, you are go to go.

That's what it looks like.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 3:13:58 AM EST
Hopefully, I'll be posting pics with ten toes soon.

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 4:17:18 AM EST
Unless it looks like it would cause the lower to fall apart I would shoot it. After a few dozen mags it will probably be smoothed off. If it bothers you before that you could apply a little sand paper to it to smooth it off.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 4:21:50 AM EST
How the heck did you manage to stick your finger so far up the mag well????
Top Top