Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/2/2003 5:09:41 AM EDT
I was reading about the US Military's current SAW, the M249 manufactured by FN.  It usually runs a 200 round "box" magazine with dissentegrating links.  But, it can run M16/AR15 magazines.  Here the danger lies, running M16 magazines in this weapon permanently damages them so that they are unusable in both the M249 or M16/AR15.  So if someone at the range asks to borrow your magazines to "try out" a full-auto SAW, beware!
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:48:12 AM EDT
[#1]
i have not found this to be true and i carried a SAW for almost 2 years. ive noticed some shaving of the feed lips, but thats about it. the mags run fine when you put them back into a rifle.

lets cast this in view of some known facts:

1. SAWs run like shit on magazines, its to be avoided except in the most dire combat emergencies

2. there are only about 6 SAWs in prvate hands. you arent going to run across one at the local gun club anytime soon

3. if this is a military exercise then loan the guy a magazine. its uncle sams mag and its probably got the RESTRICTED stamp on it anyway.
a note about posting here: there are people here who know about EVERYTHING. if you post some 2nd hand bullshit you will get called on it. on the otherhand ASK about something and ARFCOM members will be glad to share their experience to answer youre query. preach some shit you have no first hand knowledge of and you will get shot down in a hurry.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 6:24:59 AM EDT
[#2]
DvlDog,
I appreciate your input based on field experience w/ the M249, and I stand humbly corrected.  I just did not want to withhold information that could adversely affect members of this board, who I appreciate as friends.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 6:32:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So if someone at the range asks to borrow your magazines to "try out" a full-auto SAW, beware!
View Quote

These were taken last Saturday at our monthly shoot...........she can "try out" anything I got!!

[img]http://www.autoglassparts.com/guns/062803_2.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.autoglassparts.com/guns/062803_1.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 11:24:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 4:50:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I get sick of all these damned SAW owners bumming mags off of me!!

BASTARDS!
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top