Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/7/2006 7:00:48 AM EDT
Anyone know the name of that duct tape that is non-slip, feels like a cat's tongue?

I used to put it around magazines to help with pulling them out (and to identify my own mags), and other people wrap it around grips, but all I can find locally is the shiny, slippy duct tape.  Can't think of the actual name for the stuff.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:02:17 AM EDT
[#1]
It's grip tape for skateboards.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:20:07 AM EDT
[#2]
My local autozone carries the 3M grip tape.  Not quite as grippy as the skateboard stuff, but you get a huge roll of it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:21:17 AM EDT
[#3]
ewwww, get some magpuls
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:31:02 AM EDT
[#4]
go to a local bike cycle shop, they generally carry it.  Menards, has same stuff, to put on your steps so you don't slide up and down when the steps are wet. I use this on my glock and a shot gun, but never used it for the AR.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:06:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I really do not suggest grip tape. I ahve never used it on a weapon because of the i ahve alot of experience with it on lax sticks.
Reasons why its bad:
It will tear shit out of your gloves
It can leave a really sticky, hard to get off residue when u take it off
grip i find is better as part of a glove
Its not the most durable stuff, it will peel at corners if u dont put it on realllly good
And it annoys me, the feel of it doesnt seem right
thats why i dont like grip tape

PJ
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:17:56 PM EDT
[#6]
To each his own....I happen to like grip tape.  Bought a sheet of it (about 12"x24') at a surf/skateboard shop.  Use it on the grip of my Glock 23.  I originally put it on both sides of my grip since I was only using it for tactical jump-outs and carried it in a tactical thigh holster.  The inside (left) grip didn't make contact with my clothing.  Then, when I moved to another squad where suits/sportcoats were the order of the day, I started carrying my G-23 in my pancake holster.  It started to make my shirt get all frayed, so I took it off the inside (left) grips.  Still gives me a better, more secure grip with the tape only on the right side, and it didn't leave ANY sticky residue on the left grip when I took it off.

I too, added small strips (about 1"x1/2") of the grip tape to the bottom sides (4 total) on each of my 30rd magazines for my carbine.  I personally don't like magpuls, and this makes gripping/grasping the mags very secure.  Since the bottom of the mags stick out of the mag pouches, the grip tape is what I grasp.  Because the strips are only 1" long, they don't interfere with the mag well.  I also added 2 or three very small (like about 1/2" wide) strips around the circumference of the vertical grip on my carbine.  I have a GG&G vert grip, and the grip strips give it just the right amount of "gripability".  Any more tape on the vert grip would make it too rough on the support hand.

Hell, I've even added 4 tiny pieces to the top/sides of my cell phone so that I can better grip/pull it out of the drop-in belt pouch.  I got the idea when I saw a small sheet  (about 4"x6") of similar stuff  packaged for sale in a Radio Shack for around $10.00 per single sheet.  I've still got about 8/10's of my original sheet of skateboard tape left for future projects!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:54:24 PM EDT
[#7]
black athletic tape would be easier to find.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:21:05 PM EDT
[#8]
The best stuff would be Shorty's Black Magic grip tape. I like it because it's thinner than most and very high grit. You can get it from CCS. They have great customer service and ship fast.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:48:00 PM EDT
[#9]
One small tip when putting grip tape on something, after you cut the tape to the desired length & width, round off the corners a little. This prevent/prolong the corners from peeling up over time. Also, before you apply the tape, clean the surface really good with something like alcohol (or what ever you prefer).

Gene
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:48:48 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
ewwww, get some magpuls

bad twonami .... bad ....
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:36:10 PM EDT
[#11]
There is also the tape used to improve traction on stairs.  Some isn't as rough as skateboard tape, almost a textured rubbery feel.

And there is the spray on stuff.  Some for increasing traction on floors or stairs, and I want to say there is some for increasing grip on tools, hammers, stuff like that.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:37:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Anybody tried Line-X or some equivilent?  Granted, you'd have to mask it off or just take it to the pros, but a very thin layer would probably work well.  I have the stuff on the hood and front of my SUV.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:26:08 PM EDT
[#13]
its in your local hardware store as 3m non skid
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:33:08 PM EDT
[#14]
ACE Hardware sells it by the foot for about 0.12.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:39:03 PM EDT
[#15]
WalMart also has it by the roll in the hardware dept next to the rest of the tape. I bought a roll for things such as the grip on my SIG.

Quib
“Scouts-Out!”
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:33:03 PM EDT
[#16]
AGrip by Brooks is the best grip tape material. I have it on all my Glocks and on
my (non textured) TD grip as well.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:17:55 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The best stuff would be Shorty's Black Magic grip tape. I like it because it's thinner than most and very high grit. You can get it from CCS. They have great customer service and ship fast.

+1
I used to skate that stuff all the time much better than the generic.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:49:00 PM EDT
[#18]
tag
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top