Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/8/2003 7:27:44 AM EDT
where can I get one for a rra.  I have searched the web without any luck.  thanks
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 1:33:39 PM EDT
[#1]
[url]http://bushmaster.com/shopping/lowers/mmt-0007k.asp[/url]

Ray
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 2:35:43 PM EDT
[#2]
http://www.DPMSINC.com has them and I believe they make them for bushmaster.  One question I have is why do you want one?  Initally at work we put them on all of our rifles and I am in the process of removing them all after 2 years.  For a right handed shooter the ambi selector actually hits the strong hand and and a lefty can use the standard selector just as fast with practice.  just my 2 cents.
John
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 4:41:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.  I have played with the safety with the left hand and no way will I get it to feel as natural as the other side.  Ive got big hands and must use the inside of my hand at the first joint to manipulate it.  Maybe its just me but its awkward.  
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 2:17:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I say stay with the single sided one.  I ordered a DPMS ambi from Brownells, found it didn't fit right (bound up making it hard to turn, right side blade was machined wrong and left too big of a gap, etc.).  After monkeying with it for about 2 hours, I decided to cut my losses and go back to standard one that came with my lower kit.

Long story short... thought it would look and function cool, turned out to be a hassle.

My $0.02.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 8:56:21 AM EDT
[#5]
[url]www.brownells.com[/url]

DPMS ambi safeties for $22.33. I have them on all three of my ARs (afflicted with lefthandedness since birth). All of them have worked perfectly, with no problems....
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 6:01:03 PM EDT
[#6]
First off, don't listen to the naysayers that will tell you to just learn how to do everything like a righty. The AR-15 was designed for right-handed personnel, hence the controls are ergonomically position for right-handed efficiency. Sure one could learn how, but given the amount of time for this learning curb one could spend that extra time learning other fundamentals of shooting. If it's a personal rifle, personalize it to you (and most of the lefty stuff is ambidextrous so it can be used right-handed as well).
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:51:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
[url]www.brownells.com[/url]

DPMS ambi safeties for $22.33. I have them on all three of my ARs (afflicted with lefthandedness since birth). All of them have worked perfectly, with no problems....
View Quote

Ditto, I've got them on all of my ARs, and I swear by them.  If you're a lefty like me this is a very good (and cheap) upgrade.  And I had no install problems with mine, took about five minutes.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 12:09:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I have an ambi selector on two of my rigs.  The first one was a DPMS that I ordered out of Brownell's.  The second one came with a Bushmaster 2 stage Ambi- setup that I purchased a while back.

I haven't modified the Bushmaster Comp one, but the DPMS I did notice would always end up stiking my trigger finger when I pushed the safety off.  I had to remember to move my trigger finger away from the rifle while disengaging the safety which really didn't seem reasonable.

But I didn't "throw the baby out with the bath water" either.  I took my dremel and I cut down the "right handers side" of the selector so that I had shortened the length of the pad by about half it's original length. I then polished the cut up a bit and touched it up with Birchwood Casey's Aluma-Black.

Now there is no interference when I use my safety, and if I *had to* use the right handers side of the safety I can still do that as well.

Sly
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:27:05 AM EDT
[#9]
While not a left hander, I do know that, according to Pat Rogers, The 1st Force Reconnaissance Company has:

"All of the M4A1 Carbines in the Company have the Norgon ambidextrous magazine catch; the DPMS ambidextrous selector switch and the Badger Ordnance extended charging handle latch."

The quote above is taken from an article written by Pat entitled "Strong Men Armed".  It can be found at:
[url=http://www.forcerecon.com/strongmenarmed3.htm]Strong Men Armed[/url]

I guess that if it's good enough for Force Recon, it's good enough for me.  If you've read any of Pat's posts, you'll know that he wouldn't advocate something unless it has stood up to the beatings that come from combat.

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top