Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
9/17/2020 5:59:48 PM
Posted: 4/18/2008 1:51:42 PM EDT
Im trying to install a set of these rail guards onto a yankee hill FF handguard and for the life of me I cant get them to pop on. I have another similar set of cheaper ones that I had no problem with. Is there a technique to popping these on the rail or is it my arthris hands wimping out on me?

http://i25.tinypic.com/1534qkn.jpg
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 1:58:43 PM EDT
I believe I read someone asking the same question before and they recommended you push in on the middle of the cover while sliding them on.

I have the KAC rail covers and they really couldn't be any easier to install.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 2:03:38 PM EDT
You need to spread them open a little. Put one side on and then spread it open like you were opening a can of peanuts. But push the unhooked side down at the same.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 2:16:11 PM EDT
Those are almost identical to the ones that came with my S&W. I was able to get them on, but did have some trouble. I hooked on the bottom edge, and then, using both hands (someone else holding the rifle) pulled them towards the top of the rail, then flexed the guard so it is flat and wrapped it on the rail a little at a time.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 3:27:39 PM EDT
If you have trouble put one side on and take a small flathead screw driver and gently use it to assist pulling the other side over you rail.  try placing the screw driver between the notches of th rail when you do this.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2008 9:47:28 AM EDT
magpuls solid covers are worse....
Link Posted: 4/19/2008 9:56:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/19/2008 9:57:19 AM EDT by ALPHAGHOST]
both
j/k

place one side completely on the rail, then, take the corner of the other, and manually widen em till it slips over the other end at the corner and work your way down

they should go on pretty easily, but can be a PITA
Link Posted: 4/19/2008 10:46:35 AM EDT
Yes, buy different rail covers.
Link Posted: 4/19/2008 10:58:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BionicSniper:
magpuls solid covers are worse....

Or you can get rails that are in-spec or go to the gym. They are not hard to put on, come on..

I am a skinny guy, not muscular, an I can put magpul covers on a Kac rail, and could probably put the ERGO's pictured above useing the same method as stated above.

Place one side on the rail. press down in the center, and lift up the remaining side(to widen it.) now press it down.

it aint rocket science. The OP asked a how to not a list of every opinion of OTHER bad rail panels or better pannels.

Link Posted: 4/19/2008 10:59:39 AM EDT
I find that if you warm up the panels they become more flexible and easier to install. I set mine i front of a small space heater for a minute or so before putting them on.
Link Posted: 4/19/2008 6:03:01 PM EDT
I have some falcon rails panels and some magpul panels that were equally a pain in the ass at first.  What I did was put the bottom side of the panel on the rails and litterally pull back on the top side while pushing on the middle and slowly pushing towards the top.  Do this on the left of the panel and just work your way all the way to the other side.  Once you get them on leave them on for a while and they will loosen up a little.   Hope that makes sence.
Top Top