Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/12/2004 12:48:26 AM EDT
Can I bring w/ me on board an airline, "small" AR-15 parts, like flip up sights, muzzle brakes, front sight, sight adjustment tool and JP trigger assy.? checked in or hand carried? A friend got apprehended at the airport fin LAX going to SFO, for carrying said items. Items were confiscated. What is the law in transport of AR or any firearm part or accessory in domestic air travel? thanks
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 2:13:23 AM EDT
[#1]
They are not firearms or weapons.  Put them in checked luggage.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 2:52:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:49:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Seems like it WOULD be a no-no, seeing as how you know someone was busted for it.

I think I would call the airline I was planning on travelling with and tell them what you want to do, asking for their guidance in doing it legally. Get it in writing if possible. If not, ask for a supervisor. Get the info from him along with his name and title, then make a note of his name the date and time etc.

Best though if you can get an answer in writing on a letterhead.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Lonny
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 8:36:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Last Oct I went to Knob Creek and bought a new, complete upper for my AR as a souvineer. I put it in my checked bag, and notified the person at the counter that I had gun "parts" in my bag, and NOT a complete firearm. She did a doubletake and I had to tell her again, but after that she seemed ok with it, and told me that she would pass the info along to the inspectors. I also showed her that it was wrapped in bubble wrap. It looks much scarier than it is, as the freefloat hg extends all the way to the end of the barrel, making it look like a supressor to the uneducated.

When I got my bag once back at LAX and checked it immedaitely, everything was fine. When I got home and was unpacking, I found a card form the TSA informing me that my bag had been opened and inspected for security purposes.  It had the date and the inspectors badge number.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 9:00:08 AM EDT
[#5]
TSA states that no GUN PARTS may be hand carried or in carry-on luggage, period.

Check them.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 9:32:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Why not just ship it USPS Priority next day?  It shouldn't cost you more than $15 and its fast.  Plus, it gets you out of having to declare/write/answer questions/giving up rights/submitting to anal probes/etc with the airlines.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:28:11 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Why not just ship it USPS Priority next day?  It shouldn't cost you more than $15 and its fast.  Plus, it gets you out of having to declare/write/answer questions/giving up rights/submitting to anal probes/etc with the airlines.  

Very good suggestion. I would not want a security guard at the airport to recognize a firearm part, no matter how tiny it is. Its just asking for trouble.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 11:37:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I flew back to London from Miami yesterday with a full furniture set mag rebuilld kits trigger ass sights compenator mag cinch etc etc all in my suitecase and will be leaving with it all back to sa ina few days I did not have it in carry on luggage but in my suitcase I was concerned about the mag springs causing a problem but had no hassles.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 1:00:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I flew back to London from Miami yesterday with a full furniture set mag rebuilld kits trigger ass sights compenator mag cinch etc etc all in my suitecase and will be leaving with it all back to sa ina few days I did not have it in carry on luggage but in my suitcase I was concerned about the mag springs causing a problem but had no hassles.

No way would I risk an overseas flight with firearm parts.  Its a nice way to spend the day locked up answering a ton of questions at the very least.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:20:04 PM EDT
[#10]
But do they really have to confiscate everything? including the small bag of OTIS cleaning patches?
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:56:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I just thought of something... I wonder if you could take a small milling machine in your carry on luggage and make a gun on the plane
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 8:03:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I work for the TSA monster so i can assure you that you wont be able to take any "gun part"  past the security checkpoint into the secure area.  The thinking being that if you let one part at a time  through a group of people gould get all the parts to assemble a firearm through.  You can try to argue with a TSA Supervisor that a flash suppressor or gun grip isnt really part of the mechanism of a gun, but all this is going to do is get you an introduction to the airport police .  It is just a good idea to put anything gun related in your checked bags.  

But your cleaning patches should be fine.  You cant even see them on an X-ray anyway.  A TSA screener would just think you had the worst Stridex pads in the world.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 8:04:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 8:25:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Mile High "milling" Club ?

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top