Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/12/2005 3:18:31 PM EDT
anyone have the aimpoint ml2 2x on a dropmount for a carryhandle carbine?,if so how do you like it?,as i am considering this setup.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:22:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:52:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Can you please elaborate why it sucks?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:57:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I have heard this also, and always wondered why.  Please, splain.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:50:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I made the expensive mistake of buying an Aimpoint 2x. Luckily I sold it in near-new condition and made out ok. First of all, there is nothing wrong with the concept of a good piece of glass which is a 2x, but the Aimpoint was terrible. I mounted the new 2x on a carbine and was totally, instantly disappointed.

Part of the problem is that I am spoiled optically: I have excellent eyesight and I own Swarovski, German Zeiss, S&B, US Optics scopes and Swarovski, Leica, Nikon Venturer bino's, and a Swarovski spotter. I also have very satisfactory Aimpoint Comp ML's and ML3's to compare against.

This gives me a frame of reference. If I look through an optical device and it sucks, I know it immediately. Some folks don't have this frame of reference and, through no fault of their own, don't know that they are looking through a crappy piece.

Here's my take on the 2x - Aimpoint dropped the ball. It has an exaggerated vignette effect which makes you feel like you are looking through a drinking straw. It evidenced unacceptable visual distortion. It has terrible brightness, or specifically, lack of brightness. The simple math says that the 2x should have a huge exit pupil, but what in the design makes the view so poor? It has what seems like a bad field of view. Why have a head-up, both-eyes-in-the-fight optic that has such a tiny window on the threat/target?

Just my opinion. So that Aimpoint doesn't think I am trashing them, I will strongly recommend their excellent non-magnified Comp series.

If you have a 2x and like it, I'm not trying to argue or pick a fight. It was just not for me.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:04:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the heads up!
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:08:08 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have heard this also, and always wondered why.  Please, splain.

Magnification with a shitty ass field of view.   Visualize looking through a straw.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top