Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2006 10:26:15 AM EDT
I am wondering what people think is the best mount that they have purchased.
I am waiting for my RRA A4 to arrive andi was wondering what would be the best mount.  With most A4 mounted optics, will the red dot always coincide with the front sight post? or can they be set to zero above it?   I have never shot optics on an AR and this is all new to me.   Help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 10:46:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Just about any mount will co-witness with standard rear sights.  Avoid the low mounts if that is what you are going for.

I like the KAC cantilever style myself.  ARMS makes some really nice mounts.

I have my red dot sitting right on top of the sight post.  I could probably go a little bit higher with it, but not much.

When you shoot with both eyes open, focusing only on the red dot, it should sit higher than the front sight post anyways.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 11:04:08 AM EDT
[#2]
The ARMS mount with a spacer will align the dot with the front post.

The LaRue will put the irons in the lower 1/3rd of the optic.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 11:07:35 AM EDT
[#3]
so with the LaRue, it will put the red dot considerably higher than the front post?
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 11:28:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 11:31:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
so with the LaRue, it will put the red dot considerably higher than the front post?

Not considerably higher, about 0.2". I would recommend going with the higher mounts (LaRue adn PRI) as they are more comfortable to use, IMO. You will still be able to use irons, they will just appear in the lower third than in the middle of the aimpoint glass.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 11:32:56 AM EDT
[#6]
excellent.  That sounds exaclty what i am looking for.  Any particular models from LaRue?  
I am looking at all the reticle pics now and it really doesnt seem to matter if the post is in the way.  The eye is drawn to the dot first and it's almost like i dont even notice it.  I'd like to keep a little space under the red dot. But it looks like it shouldt matter too much for longer distance shooting.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 11:44:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Depends on where you are going to mount it, or on what.

They have two models for mounting directly to the flat-top. A straight one and a cantilever. They have a shorter model if you are mounting it on a rail or riser.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 11:48:34 AM EDT
[#8]
i'd be mounting it on a RRA  A4 flat top reciever where the handle would have been
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:36:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I like my Aimpoint QRP mount with spacer.  I run a KAC 300m BUIS and the co-witness is great.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:48:34 PM EDT
[#10]
+1 for the Larue mounts. Great products, great people!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top