Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/25/2003 8:11:08 PM EDT
I’m headed to Iraq in a couple of weeks with a good old fashioned 20inch A2 Service rifle, I’m going to buy an acog, I'm looking at the TA31 but I think it has a tad to much magnification for an all purpose site.  I thought about a compact but I was worried about eye relief and most research shows it designed for a 14.5inch flattop.  Will I have problems with a Acog compact on a 20inch A2 with a carrying handle?  As of now I am going to bring an acog TA31 and an Etch and switch out sites depending on the mission.  Some advice and help would be appreciated.  I would prefer to bring one site.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 8:25:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 9:35:55 PM EDT
[#2]
TA31  - no need for the Eotech.

I use a TA31 as my GP optic on my issue rifle.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 10:47:50 PM EDT
[#3]
FYI Compact ACOGs have no 'ranging reticule' so they work on all calibers with all loads on any weapon.  Just zero the thing with your load.

I've used mine on my carbine with M193 and on my 20" M16A4 clone with 75gr Blackhills.

With the BAC feature the need for a red-dot really diminishes.  As Troy indicated feedback from the Marines is the the TA31 works really well.

BTW are you in the 118th Med Bn?
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 12:53:56 AM EDT
[#4]
The TA-31 had the least amount of eye relief. The compact ACOG that has the least amount of eye relief is the same as the TA-31. So if your worried about the eye relief of the compact ACOG models you should worry about the TA-31 also. To solve two of the problems you mentioned the TA-11 has allot more eye relief and 20% more exit pupil also. This adds up to it being much more forgiving as to your eye position. On the downside you will give up a little field of view (I could hardly notice it)and it will be bigger and heavier. You will go from about 10oz to 15oz in weight.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 5:48:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info, from the photos Ive seen it looks like the compact acog sits kind of forward on the carrying handle due to the placing of the thumbscrew hole forcing your eye relief farther forwrd toward the charging handle, is this true or can you sit back a couple of inches from the charging handle and still see through the site correctly with both eyes open.  Both eyes open is how I shoot thats why i'm worried about to much magnification.  I want to find a site with just enough magnification to give me the advantage yet fight with both eyes open.  Any other ideas?
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 6:09:36 AM EDT
[#6]
2x20 mini with the red triangle would be my suggestion for the carry handle.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 6:17:57 AM EDT
[#7]
The 2x20 compact was exactly what I was looking at, thanks.  Where would my nose have to sit (meaning distance) from the charging handle. My normal cheek weld is about a half an inch?
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 9:34:01 AM EDT
[#8]
My 2x20 is mounted to a TA60 on a flat-top. I have it set-up for my nose against the charging handle.

The 2x20 allows for a great range of eye relief due to the fact that the exit pupil is 10mm. I'm sure you'll be fine on the carry handle.

I think it makes a great MOUT scope.

Mine has the amber triangle but if I picked up another one I would go red.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 1:36:27 PM EDT
[#9]
The pics of compact ACOGs you might find mounted further back in the cary handle required an additional hole to be drilled in the carry handle.

You are right that the 3X Compact ACOG has less eye relief than the TA31 though.  While the stats are the same the TA31 has about an inch longer rear housing for the lenses to give you an additional 1" of eye relief with identical mounting points.  You can use the TA31 in a carry handle mount.  You cant really use a Compact 3X well in the same mount.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 7:58:35 PM EDT
[#10]
The 3X compact ACOG works well enough in the carry handle.  It is a bit better on the flattop mounted back.

Nose to charging handle works best with that setup.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top