Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/18/2015 3:13:53 PM EDT
I recently bought an Olympic arms 5.56 in the Plinker model. After shooting it with the cheaper ammo - like American eagle - the best groups I could get were about six inches at 100 yards. I called them, and they made a few suggestions, which I tried to no avail. I recontacted them and they said I could send it back in, but that is such a hassle. So I am still at it.

After that I still had faith in these type rifles thinking that maybe it was the ammo, so I bought a dpms sportical in .308. Nothing fancy and before anyone begins bashing both of my choices, I have read it all, but I have only once read where there was an issue with accuracy. Because all I want is a rifle that cycles like it is supposed to, and hit where I aim, I felt like going with either of these rifles was okay.

But yesterday, I was able to shoot my .308 at 100 yards and it may be the worse shooting rifle that I have ever shot. Shooting at 100 yards, I had a three shot group that was about 16 inches - I could probably get a better group with my bow at that distance. Anyway, I was hoping that someone could help with advice. I checked the scope which is a leupold variX3 and it does not appear to have moved, but I do plan to try another scope. Ammo is another variable, but I was shooting ZQ1 - not sure of the bullet weight - that I have heard numerous good reviews of, and the manufacturer states that it will shoot within 1 inch at 100 yards. Actually the exact terms used are 1 minute of angle at 100 meters.

Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:15:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a lot more information written and tried to submit it, but was told that because I was new I couldn't post more than 2000 characters, so I deleted a lot of my post before I realized that I could simply copy and paste it as a reply. So here is some more of what had been written.

Now, I realize that everyone is different and some are capable of better marksmanship than others, but I feel I can hold my own. Beyond these AR rifles, I have, like I said, about a dozen other rifles and get anywhere between a half inch and three inch groups at 100 yards. With all of this said, I am very frustrated with the AR rifles that I have experienced.

Also, though I am focusing primarily here on the dpms, since it's group was so poor, I am still struggling with the accuracy of the Olympic arms plinker plus. One fact for both of the rifles is that I have only shot the dpms about 25 times, and the olypmic about 100 or so times. So I realize that peak accuracy is not even close, but 16nches at 100 yards even with poor ammo from a barrel that hasn't been broken in still makes no sense. I could see three inch groups from each, but what I have gotten is so far from the norm that I am ready to give up on these type rifles.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:17:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Lastly, because after writing, and editing, then having to delete a large part, I wanted to summarize here.

I have a dpms sportical .308 that I shot yesterday that grouped about 16 inches at 100 yards. So can anyone help.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:18:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Try some other ammo, something in the 168 to 175 grain range of American manufacture.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_30/234065_My_new_DPMS_jams___WHY___.html
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:29:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:52:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Also check that the barrel is torqued on properly.

Better ammo, re-check scope mount.

Txl
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:31:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I will check the scope, and scope mounts. As for the barrel being tight, Im not really certain how to do that. Is it something I can check at home? Also, that was from a leadsled rest, and though the trigger is terrible - I usually use very crisp triggers at around 1.5 to 2 pounds - I see no reason why my groups would be so large. Actually, I have looked down the bore, and it looks okay, though I didn't look through a borescope, but other than something being loose, I see no way that a group could be of that size. As for ammo, can you guys provide ammo suggestions for cheap, but good, ammo. All that I know when it comes to ammo, are the top brands, Remington, Winchester, Federal, Hornady, etc. I have no clue of what is good in the overseas ammo - I know I have been told stuff like, no steel cases, someone else even mentioned steel bullets with a very thin coating of copper, and that was pretty much it.

I plan to contact DPMS in the morning, and I am certain they will make it right, but the hassle of it all is just aggravating, so I plan to try whatever you guys mention as well as the scope possibility, then I give up.

Thanks for everyone's advice.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:01:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:31:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lead sled can be a bit tricky if the forearms are not free floating.  Here, if the front of the handgaurd is attached to the front of the barrel with the front hand gaurd clip, you need to sand back up as close as you can to the upper receiver with sand bags.  Hence the farther down the guard towards the front sight with a suport, the more is going to flex torque the barrel from shot to shot instead.
View Quote

Very good point Dano523, the Sportical handguard is not free floating, try sand bags instead of the Lead Sled.  toddt, since you are a new guy NOTE that Dano523 is a MODERATOR which means he knows what he is talking about!

As far as reasonably priced .308 ammo goes IMHO I like Black Hills, Hornady and Remington (in that order).  
Look for 168 grain match (about $1.40 - $1.50 per round).  
I am not suggesting that this is plinking ammo, rather ammo to establish the accuracy, or not, of your rifle.

Do not forget to WELL lubricate the BCG.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:36:50 PM EDT
[#9]
And oh yeah, welcome to AR15.COM!!!  
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:45:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:38:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Toddt, your ar10 is essentially a big ar15.

Check out this thread on building an ar.  Falarak has great info on diy.

Read the part about changing your barrel.  It should exe it well enough for ya.

Txl
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:47:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lead sled can be a bit tricky if the forearms are not free floating.  Here, if the front of the handgaurd is attached to the front of the barrel with the front hand gaurd clip, you need to sand back up as close as you can to the upper receiver with sand bags.  Hence the farther down the guard towards the front sight with a suport, the more is going to flex torque the barrel from shot to shot instead.
View Quote

Been reading that about non floated barrels for years.  Sorry, but Imo, for shooting from a rest, it does not apply.

There is no way in hell that pressure from the weight of the barrel is gonna introduce 16 moa of error.

Floating was initially used for service rifle shoots were folks were putting lots, LOTS of torque on the barrel with their sling. Shooting from a sled just ain't gonna impart enough pressure on the barrel to even notice using bulk military ammo.  Ymmv

Now, for an advanced discussion about shaving off 1/4 moa for tack driving, it may have merits.

Txl
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:28:18 AM EDT
[#13]
remove the muzzle device from the rifle and check the crown, it must be perfect. also try shooting the rifle without the muzzle device, the bullets may be touching it if the threads are not concentric with the bore.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top