Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/15/2006 5:44:52 PM EDT
What kind of accuracy do any of you using 75gr Hornady in 1x9 twist barrels get at 200 and 300 yds. From the supported prone position with a 3 power scope  I keep 10 shots in a little under 8
inches, at 200 yds  it's 10 shots into a little under 5 inches. With 69 gr. Sie. at these ranges if I do my part it's about m.o.a. It's a 14.5 inch Bushmaster 1x9. I'am just wondering if this is better or worse than others 1x9 performance with 75's.
Thanks
Smokem1
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:54:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I shot some 75gr match and some 75gr tap today out of a 700 pss with 1in9 twist. It was just under  1".
I think the 1in7 would be better for load that heavy. I have a 20" AR15 with a 1x7 that needs broke in. Then I'm hoping to try the same loads.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:14:08 PM EDT
[#2]
What is the difference between the 75 Grain TAP and the 75 Grain Match?  I use the TAP, but I always wondered what the difference was and if Match Ammo made good self defense Ammo.  I have read all the Ammo oracle and I spoke with people from Hornady and Remington and I get different answers.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:33:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Tap has the cool color
On the box the drop at 300 , 400 , 500 is different. The TAP has less drop so it maybe hotter?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:38:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Tap has the cool color
On the box the drop at 300 , 400 , 500 is different. The TAP has less drop so it maybe hotter?

TAP is loaded to 5.56 pressure.
non-TAP (.223) is loaded to SAAMI pressure.

summary, the TAP is hotter by some 50-200fps at the muzzle. in turn, this translates into a little flatter trajectory and a little more fragmentation range.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:04:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Tap has the cool color

summary, the TAP is hotter by some 50-200fps at the muzzle. in turn, this translates into a little flatter trajectory and a little more fragmentation range.

ar-jedi

Yes and no.  There is 5.56 LEO TAP, there is .223 LEO TAP and there is .223 TAP-FPD.  The .223 TAP loads are the same.  The 5.56 TAP is sold only to LEO's unless you have a friend who is an LEO who will sell it to you or buy it for you.   Also 75gr TAP and 75gr Match is the same bullet, just different powder loads by different companies...

TS
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:21:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Tap has the cool color

ar-jedi

Do you have 5.56 TAP?  Like the man said it's only sold to LEO's.  Maybe you are one.  But the more common would be the .223 saami pressure.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:56:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the .223 TAP-FPD.  But now I know there is a .556 I need some
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:10:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

You and everyone else.

LE/GOVT ONLY.

Danny
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:17:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You and everyone else.

LE/GOVT ONLY.

Danny

It can't be that hard I'm looking now.....
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:24:25 PM EDT
[#10]
If I may use a quote from markm, please:

BOTH SHOULD BE BANNED FROM CIVILIAN USE!

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:27:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You and everyone else.

LE/GOVT ONLY.

Danny

It can't be that hard I'm looking now.....

IM me if you have any luck.

Danny
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:40:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Also 75gr TAP and 75gr Match is the same bullet...

Not quite. The 75gr TAP bullet adds a cannelure and the profile is a bit straighter.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:00:50 PM EDT
[#13]
back O T...

i shot some and was hitting about 3 moa at 100 yds out of my 1x9 bushmaster, 20".  

i also got similar results to you wiht federal gold match 69's.

i would like to try some handloads with the 75's to see if i can tighten it up.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:47:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not quite. The 75gr TAP bullet adds a cannelure and the profile is a bit straighter.

What exactly is a cannelure anyway?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:23:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
What exactly is a cannelure anyway?

see arrowed area:

on left, cannelure; on right, no cannelure:

another example: 5.56mm M193 55gr bullet with cannelure:

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:59:57 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a 1/9 twist 14.7ish hbar Bushwacker with ML2

@ 200 plus yards at the BERM I can hit Tin can with Black Hills Blue Box 75gr. and 77gr.

wich is good enough for me. Also the aimpoint is zero with the SS109 bullet @ 50yards!

I also zero my LMT w/ the Eotech 551 useing M855 @ 50 yards and the Blue Box Black Hills77gr. Has almost the same zero as m855
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:05:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Thank you ar_jedi
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:32:15 AM EDT
[#18]
The cannelure around the body of the bullet allows for a tighter seal between the bullet and the cartridge. This is important for the infantryman, who does not have the luxury of taking careful care of his ammunition. The tighter seal provided by the cannelure reduces the chance of the bullet loosening within the cartridge as it is roughly handled and keeps moisture from getting into the propellant. The cost of the cannelure is aerodynamic performance, which is why the high accuracy rounds make do without it.

(reloading manual...forgot which one)
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:46:52 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Depends on which match load you are talking about.

Hornady's match load doesn't have the cannalure.  Black Hills match load does.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:24:47 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The cannelure around the body of the bullet allows for a tighter seal between the bullet and the cartridge. This is important for the infantryman, who does not have the luxury of taking careful care of his ammunition. The tighter seal provided by the cannelure reduces the chance of the bullet loosening within the cartridge as it is roughly handled and keeps moisture from getting into the propellant. The cost of the cannelure is aerodynamic performance, which is why the high accuracy rounds make do without it.

(reloading manual...forgot which one)

After I posted the question about the Cannelure I went on;ine and found this article:

Cannelure

"As the bullet yaws through 90 degrees and is traveling sideways through flesh, the stress of tissue resistance to bullet passage can overpower the physical integrity of the bullet. The bullet has a groove around its midsection called a cannelure. The purpose of the cannelure is to permit the mouth of the cartridge case to be crimped tightly against the bullet shank to hold it firmly to the case. The cannelure weakens the structural integrity of the bullet's copper jacket.

At distances of 100 yards and under, when the bullet hits the body and yaws through 90 degrees, the stresses on the bullet cause the leading edge to flatten, extruding lead core out the open base, just before it breaks apart at the cannelure. The portion of the bullet forward of the cannelure, the nose, usually remains in one piece and retains about 60 percent of the bullet's original weight. The portion of the bullet aft of the cannelure, the base, violently disintegrates into multiple lead core and copper jacket fragments, which penetrate up to 3-inches radially outward from the wound track. The fragments perforate and weaken the surrounding tissues allowing the subsequent temporary cavity to forcibly stretch and rip open the multiple small wound tracks produced by the fragments.
The resulting wound is similar to one produced by a commercial expanding bullet used for varmint hunting, however the maximum tissue damage produced by the military bullet is located at a greater penetration depth."
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top