Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/8/2003 11:37:23 PM EDT
Ive begun to purchase parts for my first AR....
I have started with a RRA stripped lower and am concidering a RRA upper.....Specifically I am looking at the EOP Varminter in a 20" configuration.....My concern is how accurate will my 50 grain factory ammo be with this set up? Also does anyone see any draw backs to the Elevated Optics Platform (EOP)?  It seems to me to be the way to go for a rifle that will be strictly used with optics.......
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 3:12:16 AM EDT
[#1]
As I have shot the White Box 45grn. Winchester, (from WalMart) in a 1/7 twist rifles without adverse effects, suspect you'll be okay twist wise w/ lighter bullets. As to whether your rifle will like and shoot knots with them, that is something only your testing will confirm.

As to the EOP, expect for your purposes it may be an advantage as it will place the scope at the proper height using standard rings, most likely.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 8:18:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for you input Mr. Wilson......Are you shooting a Carbine?.....What barrel length did you shoot thoose "white box" Winnies out of?

The stress of purchasing a new toy is "almost"
unbearable......

Thanks Again
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 9:02:18 AM EDT
[#3]
The little bit I've shot my 16" 1/8 RRA the 45gr USA shot the best.  (Other ammo was BH 68gr & 75gr and USA 55gr FMJ from Wal-Mart.)  That was at 100yd though.  The over-stabilization might show up more at longer ranges.

The EOP would be OK if you're only ever going to use a standard scope, and it would probably let you use regular rings, but personally I'd go with a standard flat-top and an Armalite scope mount.  That way the upper could still be used for something else, and you get a little more forward mounting, which could be important depending on the scope and its eye-relief.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top