Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/4/2005 7:11:00 AM EDT
first off i would like to say i really know nothing about adding accessories to the AR-15 and am new to the AR world so bare with me. all me and my dad want to do is add a bi-pod and a nice small scope. i would like to know is there anyway to add a bi-pod to the "stock" handguard. or would i have to buy one that has the rails on it? also, we would really like to keep the iron sights too. is there anyway to mount the scope on top of the handle? thanks and sorry fo my newbieness

Thomas
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:18:47 AM EDT
You can buy an accessory rail for mounting a bipod if that is what your biopd mounts to. Or you can mount a sling stud if that is what your bipod mounts to. But no, you do not have to buy a new set of handguards.
As for the scope, you will have to buy a carry handle scope mount and probably a cheek piece to put on the buttstock, because the scopes sit so high. And with the carry handle scopt mounts you can still use the irons.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:41:59 AM EDT
so really i need to get a bi-pod then figure out what i need to mount it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:01:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By stevo10:
so really i need to get a bi-pod then figure out what i need to mount it.

Easy to add a bipod to stock handguards.

First you'll be looking for a Harris type bipod. Now Harris sells an adaptor specifically for AR-15 type handguards (Fulton-Armory.com sells it among others). The adapter consists of a standard sling stud and a backing plate. The plate goes inside the handguards and the sling stud goes through one of the vent holes and screws into the backing plate (be sure to use Blue LocTite).

The Harris bipod then attaches to the stud. It's even a somewhat 'quick release' kinda system (just turn a screw). Works fairly well.

Scopes in general don't do very well when attached to the top of the carry handle. They are up so high it screws up the ballistics (arcs way too much) and they are up so high you often need to buy a raised cheekpiece to get a proper cheek weld. This cheekpiece prevents you from using the iron sights.

There are however 2 kinds of scopes (magnified optics) that work well with a fixed carry handle and you don't need the cheekpiece. They work well as their built in mounts allow them to mount lower than other scopes.

1) Colt type scope 4x21. Colt is the good one. There are cheap copies by Leapers that are only good for plinking. Of these the 4x28 version is the better made one (I've owned both the 4x21 and 4x28 Leapers).

2) ACOGs. Specifically the Compact ACOGs work best, but the full size ones like the TA-01, TA-31, and TA-11 also do well.
Top Top