Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/30/2004 5:06:08 AM EST
I have read the ff tube install link. I have a question though. I had a smith put the yhm on, bayo fsb, and phantom permanant. Now I want an a3. Do I just remove pin for gas tube. Loosen fsb pull forward, remove gas tube, and unscrew the ff tube, then do the a3 swap right? Because I cant remove the phantom that should not be a problem. Correct?
Thanks,
Chris
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 5:17:19 AM EST
I'm trying to picture it in my head, but you just might be able to do it.

First, knock out the taper pins on the FSB, then slide it with the gas tube forward. At this point, if the gas tube is not clear of the barrel nut, you may be able to knock out the gas tube roll pin and work the gas tube out of the assembly.

Next, loosen the YHM locknut and thread off the tube. This is another stickly spot, as the tube has to be able to thread off and move far enough forward so that you can get the FF barrel nut wrench on the FF nut.

If there is room, loosen the FF barrel nut and remove the receiver from the barrel.

Install the new receiver and reverse the process.

All of this came from visions in my head and there is no guarantee that it will work. There are clearances that I cannot anticipate without having the components in front of me. I can see the whole process in my head, but I'm not sure if it can be done.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 5:22:12 AM EST
Mongo,
As far as the gas tube cant' the pin be removed from the fsb. If so cant you remove the fsb rotate it to the side and then remove the gas tube? As far as the ff wrench can I use a std. barrel wrench?
Chris
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 5:30:36 AM EST
I think it will work fine..... you dont need to remove the roll pin in the FSB for the gas tube. Once you knock out the gas tube pins, pull the FSB/gas tube assembly forward as a unit.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 5:32:28 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/30/2004 5:33:04 AM EST by mongo001]

Originally Posted By paigecm1:
Mongo,
As far as the gas tube cant' the pin be removed from the fsb. If so cant you remove the fsb rotate it to the side and then remove the gas tube? As far as the ff wrench can I use a std. barrel wrench?
Chris

The FSB won't rotate very far if the gas tube is still engaged with the barrel nut or receiver. I'd slide it out first, to see if it will clear - my gut says it won't - once slid out and not clear, tap out the gas tube roll pin and slide the gas tube into the receiver, then rotate the FSB out of the way and remove the gas tube.

The standard barrel nut wrench will not fit a YHM tube, IIRC. I use the DPMS FF barrel nut wrench on all of my FF builds. YHM also sells a wrench built just for their tubes.

DPMS FF barrel nut wrench:

YHM wrench:
YHM barrel nut wrench
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 5:52:38 AM EST
Once you pop the FSB loose, you have 4.5" of forward movement to pull it forward, up against your phantom.... that is plenty of room to pull the gas tube out of the way of the aluminum barrel nut. 1.5" of clearance there or so. However, as you unscrew the barrel nut, is where you might run out of room for the gas tube.... so thats just a big "maybe" but I say try it first before you do the extra step.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 5:55:41 AM EST

Originally Posted By FALARAK:
Once you pop the FSB loose, you have 4.5" of forward movement to pull it forward, up against your phantom.... that is plenty of room to pull the gas tube out of the way of the aluminum barrel nut. 1.5" of clearance there or so. However, as you unscrew the barrel nut, is where you might run out of room for the gas tube.... so thats just a big "maybe" but I say try it first before you do the extra step.

We're both seeing this about the same. Save any steps if you can.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:50:19 AM EST
Thanks for the info. I will find out next weekend when I do the work w/ a friends help. Can't wait to put the eotech on
Top Top