Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/8/2005 3:55:35 AM EDT
does anyone know if the a2 handguards can be placed on a A1 rifle???  and iuf so would there be any concerns or issues???   our PD just got 2 brand new a1 full auots form the DRMO and we want to update them a little       thnaks   jim
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:05:49 AM EDT
[#1]
They'll work. No issues.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:07:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:44:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Lucky you're a cop... Otherwise it's illegal to put A2s HGs on an A1 without replacing the rear sight as well.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:06:57 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Lucky you're a cop... Otherwise it's illegal to put A2s HGs on an A1 without replacing the rear sight as well.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:05:29 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

WTF
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:08:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:18:31 AM EDT
[#7]
PULPSMACK A2 and A1 rear sights do NOT interchange. A gunsmith.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:30:34 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Bucking for stupid post of the year I guess.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:37:40 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Wake up aready
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:49:20 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, I'm flattered... I wasn't even trying that hard.

I woke up too early to be of any use (not that being up for hours would have helped) and I saw a satisfactory answer so I said "WTF... how bout a laugh?" Sometimes it's scary to see what some take seriously.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:51:31 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, I'm flattered... I wasn't even trying that hard.

I woke up too early to be of any use (not that being up for hours would have helped) and I saw a satisfactory answer so I said "WTF... how bout a laugh?" Sometimes it's scary to see what some take seriously.

Clearly the subtlety of your humor was lost on those of us who were wide awake.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:21:46 AM EDT
[#12]
The military used to put A2 handguards on A1s all the time.  It simplified the supply chain to only have one kind of handguard.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:09:10 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, I'm flattered... I wasn't even trying that hard. hat

Clearly the subtlety of your humor was lost on those of us who were wide awake. hr

I got a laugh out of it. But mainly because I absolutely dread seeing round handguards on an otherwise early / A1 type AR-15.  But that's just personal opinion, and you know how it is.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:17:31 AM EDT
[#14]
I would replace the rear apeature with A2's, and the birdcage FS with an A2 also while you are at it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:21:14 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I would replace the rear apeature with A2's, and the birdcage FS with an A2 also while you are at it.

Don't forget to switch the upper,  lower,  barrel,  stock, and pistol grip to A2!
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:24:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Be nice to swap  out the 1/12 20"  barrel for a 16" 1/7 carbine barrel if you could on a couple of those - make them much more versatile and compact. The 77gr LE ammo might work better than the 55gr stuff.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:24:07 PM EDT
[#17]
An A1 with round guards is SO 1995 National Guard.....hug.gif

Carried one just like that in fact.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:27:49 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

ETA: WHY would you want to uglify a beautiful A1 with the A2 HGs?

(not saying I don't like the A2 HGs, I just think they look wrong on an A1)
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:53:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Like this?

The A1 HGs look all cool and retro but the A2s are functionally superior in every way.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:06:15 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Like this?

img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/glocker199/100_0255.jpg

The A1 HGs look all cool and retro but the A2s are functionally superior in every way.

I've used CAR handguards on my uncle's XM177 clone and the ones on my SP1 clone and I never noticed much of a difference. Both still got a little hot after a few hundred rounds of Wolf 62 gr.

Ya don't usually build a retro gun for a "go-to" gun though do you? So why not make it look nice? *no offence to you or your rifle triburst *

ETA: What's up with that carbine barrel? It looks like it's heavy under the handguards to a little past the FSB and then light past that...
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:57:37 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Like this?

I've used CAR handguards on my uncle's XM177 clone and the ones on my SP1 clone and I never noticed much of a difference. Both still got a little hot after a few hundred rounds of Wolf 62 gr.

Ya don't usually build a retro gun for a "go-to" gun though do you? So why not make it look nice? *no offence to you or your rifle triburst *

ETA: What's up with that carbine barrel? It looks like it's heavy under the handguards to a little past the FSB and then light past that...

No offense taken. Some think that the rifle looks weird with the blend of M16/A1/A2/M4 features, but I love the way it shoots and handles. It is an early Colt M16 upper, with A1 flash suppressor, A2 handgaurds, pistol grip, and lower with an M4 style stock. It only weighs a little over six pounds and is very handy.

The carbine barrel was originally a 16" post ban Hbar. Steve at ADCO turned it down to LW profile under the handgaurds and in front of the gas block.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:21:01 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Like this?

I still don'nt know why, but I really like that 20.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:41:51 AM EDT
[#23]
That A1/A2 mutation is one of the nicest rifles I've seen, IMHO.

Why the slickside though?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top